[Quietcars] What should Ford's new Focus EV sound like?, Autoblog Green, June 23, 2011

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 15 05:44:38 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

You asked:

> W, what have you found in doing your research, because this
> Ford effort sounds a bit lame, though I think that links A and C would be
> suitable though not real world choices!

Sorry, I don't have anything new to contribute about the utility of noise as an alert or alarm system. However, I notice that the NHTSA has filed in www.regulations.gov:

"[Docket No. NHTSA–2011–0100] Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 Rulemaking"

My understanding is this provides an initial dialog between citizens and the agency to add implementation suggestions. It also includes an outline of the alternative implementations:

"A. Alternative 1: ‘‘No Action’’ Alternative" - by law, not an option.

"B. Alternative 2: Recordings of Actual Internal Combustion Engine Sounds"

"C. Alternative 3: Synthesized ICE Equivalent Sounds"

"D. Alternative 4: Combination of Synthesized Non-ICE Sounds and ICE Components to Aid Recognition"

"E. Alternative 5: Synthesized Non-ICE Sounds Developed To Enhance Detectability"

"IV. Scoping and Public Participation

The scoping process initiated by this notice seeks public comment on the range of alternatives and impacts to be considered in the EA and to identify the most important issues for in-depth analysis involving the potential environmental impacts of NHTSA’s PEDSAFE standard.40 NHTSA’s NEPA analysis for the PEDSAFE standard will consider the direct, indirect and cumulative environmental impacts of the proposed standards and those of reasonable alternatives."

I have been thinking of some comments:

1) Suppress the noise when the engine is running. - This allows a technicians to use engine noise for problem diagnosis, especially when the car is in an independent mechanic's repair bay. Independent mechanics are unlikely to have an expensive, vendor-only tool needed to disable a noise generator. If a noise generator gets in their way, independent mechanics will figure out how to disable what prevents them from diagnosing, repairing, and billing a car repair.

2) After-market, LED backup lights with noise makers. - By mandating all new backup lights have a noise generator, turn signal lights too, older vehicles will get noise generators as the existing backup and turn-signal lights burn out. I have a second example ordered from Ebay and am thinking of sending it in with the cover letter.

3) DC-to-DC converter noise level. - During the initial NHTSA testing, the report showed genuine surprise at an unexpected 5kHz signal in the Prius noise spectrum. The DC-to-DC converter is a switching power supply that converts the 200-300V traction battery voltage down to 12V needed for head lights, windshield wipers and ordinary car accessories. Usually, designers work hard to make sure the magnetic parts do not 'humm' or make a noise but this critical car part has to run for a Prius to work or the 12V battery will soon discharge and the car computers stop.

Just some random thoughts about what is going on now.

Bob Wilson