[Quietcars] Blind driver takes Google car for a spin

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Apr 4 17:22:48 UTC 2012

When cars become reliable enough to avoid collisions automatically, most
will be pleased to be relieved of the chore of paying continuous attention
during their commute.  Others will miss exhibiting their driving skills.
Getting people to trust the technology will be harder than developing it.

I hope our Blind Driver Challenge work will result in smart vehicle systems
being developed accessibly.  It has certainly raised the consciousness of
the public and let them know how much we want the freedom of being part of
the driving public.  Good arguments can be made for less private
transportation and more reliance on public systems.  I agree with those
arguments.  So long as the car is king, however, I want to be one of the
acolytes behind the wheel.