[rehab] Blind Counselor Releases Memoir About College Experiences

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Mon Feb 2 15:07:18 UTC 2009

Dave,

I am sure this is a wonderful book, written by a wonderful person, but I
think someone should actually read it before we advertise it on one of our
listservs, as that implies Federation endorsement.  If we don't endorse it,
and the posting is just for people's information, we should say so.

Not too long ago there was another book that was advertised on this
listserv.  The author even promised to give some of the profits from its
sale to the Federation.  But when I read the excerpts posted on the author's
website, they were awful.

The author's suggestions resembled the ones in the AFB's guide to personal
management that came out in the 1970's.  We've used those kinds of examples
in our banquet speeches, so we need to be careful about appearing to endorse
them.  It will undermine people's confidence in us as an organization.

These are my opinions, and I offer them as such. People are welcome to agree
or disagree with them, but I think we should at least think about these
things.  No criticism of you or the good work you do is implied.