[rehab] accessible credit card machines

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Sat Feb 7 04:35:30 UTC 2009

Lisa Maria and others, once upon a time, Sears, Roebuck & Company, in
conjunction with Discover Card sold TALKING CREDIT CARD machines.  Sorry,
not anymore, like anything else, this has gone the way of the dinosaurs!
Some blind entrepreneurs still have them and use them, but I doubt if any of
the ones in use today comply with PCIDSS requirements.

Now, what can be done differently?

1.  Consider purchasing a keyboard that has built-in credit card swiping
capabilities.  There are several of these out there:  Cherry and Preh come
to mind.  You can either plug these into a USB or PS2 ports.  They do have
wireless ones too.  What may be tough is whether or not they will work with
whichever software drives your present credit card machine.  They are
available either as a two- or three-track reader.  I use PcCharge and do
processing via TCP/IP on a DSL connection.
2.  The Ingenico I6550 is a Signature Capture Pad with a telephone-like
keypad for entering debit card authorization pin numbers.  This equipment
also comes with a three-track card swiper built-in.

Now, finding a POS software to drive them all can be a nightmare!  A long,
long while back, I heard that someone wrote Jaws scripts for KeystrokePOS; I
thought I kept the info where I could find it, but alas, I can't.  I am
desperately looking for a script writer who can help script a POINT OF SALE
software for Window-Eyes, my default screen reader.

Hope the foregoing is somewhat helpful.  Mega thanks!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado