[rehab] GED Testing Accommodations

Hanse, Buffa (OFB-LV) Buffa.Hanse at ky.gov
Tue May 5 17:00:02 UTC 2009

One of my students, a newly blinded young adult, is advocating for
accommodations on the GED exam. She needs to use both a calculator and
Nemeth for math. For the essay, she needs to use JAWS or WindowEyes
without spell-check or grammar checker but with a sighted Procter to
then copy her exam so that it can be holistically graded as all the
essays are. She's already been denied the use of the calculator and
Braille for math and has begun the appeal.

The current official Accommodations are outmoded because JAWS or another
speech program is not used so that students can study and take the
entire test via computer. Students are expected to do the entire test
orally or using large-print. I need contact info. for personnel who
might have handled similar accommodations or who use them now in other
states. I know California does, but don't have the contact information
needed. I don't know if there is an Association that handles GED testing
nationwide, but it sure sounds like there is work for Federationists
here. I want to pass on the contact information to my student. You can
call or email me (see below). Thanks for everyone's help.

Buffa Hanse
Braille/Audio equip. Teacher
Charles W. McDowell Center
8412 Westport Road
Louisville, Ky 40242
phone: 502-429-4460 (page)
Email buffa.hanse at ky.gov
Confidentiality Statement: The information contained in this email may
be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If you
believe you have received this email in error, please do not read the
email, advise the author that you have received the email in error, and
destroy the email.  Thank you for your cooperation.