[rehab] [Jobs] looking for help

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 18:29:31 UTC 2011

Dick,

Thanks!  That's great information.  I'm using a couple of local job search
sites to sniff around the current local market, but get pretty frustrated
with the sites before I've learned much.  Big demand here for drivers, CNAs
and other licensed medical professionals, so getting to a job that would
apply to my qualifications and any of my skill sets requires some patience.
/smile/

I'll try Guerilla!  I've been thining about hitting Monster and some of
those others I was familiar with years back.  I even decided to break down
and spring for a professional resume before I left my marriage -- which I
was pretty sure I was going to end up having to do -- and reached a level of
vision loss that required me to hit up VR for the really expensive stuff...
I'll admit that it's a better resume by far than what I was coming up with,
even though I've had schooling and experience in resume prep.  Too close to
my own resume to come up with a new one that satisfied me at the time, I
guess.  Anyway, I ended up including it with an entry level job I took out
of desperation, so it didn't help but was big plus in my being promoted
shortly thereafter.  I've used it to pic up some contract work here and
there since, just not enough to pay for the 5 figures worth of adaptive tech
I need to build a successful freelance business...  What with not having the
adaptive tech to do the more lucrative projects which would provide enough
income to pay for the next generation of cool tools.  Still, I love my work
and the people I get to work with and for, so I take these gems when I get
the opportunity.  /smile/

Naturally, I included my resume with references and a cover  letter modified
to apply when VR did finally manage to get a warm body out to my neck of the
woods so I could at least discuss how to start the process of getting a
workplace evaluation and some guidance I could give to my employer so that
company could follow through on its agreement to provide the tools once we
were sure we all knew what those would be and had the paperwork from a VRC
and whomever else was needed so the accounting department would be happy and
okay the expense...  I also included a list of written questions, the
results and some of the background material documenting my own research into
what I needed to continuing performing the specific tasks involved in my
work...

Do you know, with the exception of a couple of the technical guys, I never
in all my time working with that agency -- or trying to -- not once did I
ever get a hint that anyone I spoke to had a clue what I do for a living.  I
finally came out and asked one person, who hemmed and hawed and stuttered
and finally managed to come up with, "Well, I think it has something to do
with computers."  Apparently, the professionally designed and written resume
only works with people who actually, you know, read it.  /lol/

Tami Smith-Kinney