[rehab] Conducting Functional Vision Assessments when Blind Yourself

Jennifer Kennedy msjenniferkennedy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:58:30 UTC 2011

Liz,

I used to be the Low Vision case manager along with my O&M position so I
have had experience doing functional vision assessments.

1. Get yourself both a distance and near visual acuity chart you can
Braille. I used to have the near one both Brailled and not Brailled so I
could read along as they read aloud from the unmarked chart.
2. With the distance chart, get yourself a room where you can measure on the
floor with pieces of tape at 5, 10, and 20 feet away from a fixed point in
the room so you can stand there with the chart.

3. I suspect they also want a confrontational field, correct? This one is a
bit harder but you can at least identify if there is vision loss around
upper, lower, etc. by having them look at your nose and you move your hands
around the face.

What other tasks are they wanting you to test?

Jennifer

Jennifer M. Kennedy, M.A., NOMC
National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, Richmond Chapter, President
Email: msjenniferkennedy at gmail.com