[rehab] Conducting Functional Vision Assessments when Blind Yourself

Alex heyitslu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 02:39:01 UTC 2011

Liz, I work as a rehab Instructor and conduct assessments in people's
homes.  I would be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you
might have.  I am currently at home on maternity leave, so I do not
have access to all of my work materials; thus, I might not be able to
tell you how much a particular item is that might help you, but I
would be happy to help if I can.  Please e-mail me off list and I will
send you my phone numbers.  Conducting these assessments is very
possible.  supervisory staff has observed me assess, which is a little
nerve racking, and stated that my assessments are more thorough than
many sighted Rehab Instructors whom they have observed, which I write,
not to brag, but to encourage you to know that you can conduct a
thorough, useful, and meaningful assessment.  I have made eye charts
accessible by using braille labels and have labeled all of my
equipment (magnifiers with various colored lights) in braille.
Recommending lighting and video magnifiers is more difficult for me,
and I generally leave the recommendation of prism glasses to clinical
based practicianers; otherwise, the assessment does not pose problems
for me.

Lucy