[rehab] Braille Basics

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 22:30:02 UTC 2011

All,

Can anyone give me the name of a braille text for an adult to use for
self-study in nemeth and computer braille, as well as a place to find it
and purchase it?

A while back, one of you recommended Braille Basics by, um, that woman
who wrote it as a good braille curriculum and mentioned that the woman
who wrote it had also produced a text for Nemeth braille and one for
computer braille. Yay! I thought. When I can buy the nemeth and computer
texts I know what to look up onthe internet. So I didn't save the
message. /lol/ Meanwhile, we did a household reorganization and tossing
of no longer needed clutter... Did I remember to get the author's name
before I tossed my copy of Braille Basics on the pile, since I no longer
need it? Of course not! Besides, I can just do a search on Google...

So I've been doing that and am now back to ask the following:

What is the name of the author of Braille Basics?

Where can I locate this title and author so that I might purchase the
text for self-study?

I would really love any other resources for braille literacy for adults.
I would like to provide a list of such resources on the web. Also, I am
concocting an evil plan as to how to get curricular into the hands of
blind adults here in Oregon... Our braille literacy guy here is pretty
great, and he uses Braille Basics, which is how I ended up using it for
self-study. It's just that getting through the not-so-great layers in
the agency to get information or even lessons from him does seem to be
fraught with peril. Sigh. I'm tired of hearing from people who are
really struggling with that, then finding that their VR case goes
nowhere because they're having trouble with braille... To use myself as
an example, last time I checked, there is no way they are going to waste
the braille literacy guy's time on a speed test for me since I refuse to
learn braille. Naturally, since I refuse to learn braille, they siply
cannot justify procurement of any braille reading or production tools I
need to continue (now to get back into) my career.When I left off my
career due to absolutely positively needing braille, all I needed was
information about braille displays plus an onsite evaluation, so their
current claim that I am just to expensive for them doesn't really hold
water. Also, the job market in my field crashed hard here, so now that I
could really use the equipment myself so I can pick up freelance
opportunities, they're really bent out of shape. Well, they were, last
time I requested a low-cost item for a contract I'd picked up.  /lol/
Which was a current version of JAWS... Would you believe the problem of
my refusal to read braille somehow came into their foot dragging on that
until the project had to move on without me?

Anyway, since I keep hearing of others with similar issues on the
subject of braille and how the lack of training and study materials or
anything else is then used against them in their VR case, I thought I'd
start finding out what adult curricula are out there and how to get
them, then see about getting people together to work together on
learning braille.

Thanks!

Tami,