[rehab] The Missing Middle Class on College Campuses

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Tue May 9 16:19:14 UTC 2017

Hi,

I think this is an interesting article on trends in college funding.  You
will note that colleges are using financial aid as a tool to recruit upper
middle class students whose families can afford to pay more tuition out of
their own pockets.  That brings in more revenue.  On the other hand,
students from low income families meet more financial aid eligibility
requirements, so they are entering colleges too.  The middle class, those
families with $50,000 to $100,000 income, are being left out – not poor
enough for some funding and not rich enough to pay more in the way of
family contributions.  Note the parallel with our society.  I don’t know at
this point how blind students will fare.  Possibly pretty well if their
rehabilitation agencies provide college funding.  Possibly not so well if
they come from middle class families and their rehab agencies don’t.