[rehab] [Jobs] the term Vision impaired

Justin Williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 18:46:32 UTC 2017

That's a really nice document.
 Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: rehab [mailto:rehab-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Dick Davis via rehab
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:18 PM
To: Jobs for the Blind <jobs at nfbnet.org>; rehab at nfbnet.org
Cc: Dick Davis <ddavis at blindinc.org>; pallen at louisianacenter.org; Employment-Committee at nfbnet.org; allstaff at blindinc.org; jdeden at cocenter.org
Subject: Re: [rehab] [Jobs] the term Vision impaired

Amanda,

You might print this out and hand it out to people who accost you .  It is on the BLIND, Inc. website.

Dick Davis

*What To Do When You Meet A Blind Person Like Me
<https://www.blindinc.org/about-blindness/what-to-do-when-you-meet-a-blind-person-like-me/>*

*by: Blind, Inc. students and staff*

Hi, I’m blind. I may also use the terms visually impaired or legally blind to describe myself. But whatever one I use, they all mean the same thing: I either see nothing at all or my eyesight is so poor that I have difficulty doing things visually. Many of the ideas people have about blindness are inaccurate or completely false. If you’ve never met a blind person before or know very little about blindness, you’re likely to believe some of those ideas, so here’s some accurate information to get you on the right track.

When you read the following, please keep in mind that it may not apply the same way to all blind people. Each one of us is an individual and as such, we each have had different training and experiences, so there’s no one size fits all. If you’re in doubt it’s always best to ask.

   1. Always remember that I’m the one who’s responsible for my life;
   nobody else is. Some sighted people think it’s their job to supervise a
   blind person, and try to take charge of me. I’m perfectly capable of making
   my own decisions although I may ask for information or assistance from time
   to time.
   2. The fact that I may be with a sighted person doesn’t mean he or she
   is in charge or is there to translate for me. It’s irritating when people
   try to talk to me through a sighted companion. I speak English just fine,
   so if there’s something you want to know, please ask me. And you don’t have
   to speak louder; it’s my eyes, not my ears that don’t work.
   3. For me, blindness is a fact of life and I hope you’ll come to accept
   it too. There’s no need for you to worry about finding me a cure; I have
   competent doctors who’ll tell me if they hear of something that might help.
   It’s okay to pass on any new information you hear about. My religious
   beliefs are my own and it makes me uncomfortable when complete strangers
   want to pray for me to get my sight back.
   4. Independent travel is something that many blind people learn so when
   you see me walking down the street with my cane or guide dog, assume that I
   know where I’m going. If I wait at a corner before crossing, it’s because
   I’m listening to the traffic so I can tell when to cross. It’s safest if I
   cross when the light turns green because that gives me the most time to get
   across. If you don’t know how long the light has been green, please don’t
   insist that I go.
   5. If you see me standing at a crosswalk when you’re driving, don’t stop
   for me if the light is against me. I may assume that it is safe to cross
   and walk right into the path of a moving car. When I’m crossing in front of
   you at an intersection, don’t blow your horn if you think my cane is about
   to touch your front bumper; it will scare the heck out of me. Since I
   cannot see you, using your horn is a poor way to signal me.
   6. If I seem to need help, introduce yourself to me and ask me if I need
   it. If I don’t, I’ll say No thanks! and go on my way. Don’t feel hurt if I
   reject your offer of help and insist that I accept it. I appreciated your
   offer. Just say something like Okay, have a nice day! and go on your way.
   Don’t follow me to make sure I get where I’m going as it will feel like I’m
   being stalked.
   7. If you’re giving me directions, it doesn’t help to point because I
   can’t see where you’re pointing. It’s better to offer me verbal directions,
   ones that are as specific as possible. If you know the names of cross
   streets and landmarks, that’s always helpful information; if you don’t, I
   may ask you to read the street signs to me. You’re welcome to ask me for
   directions; I get around a lot and might have the information you need.
   8. I might want to walk with you using the sighted guide technique,
   especially if we’re carrying on a conversation or are in a tight space such
   as between tables at a restaurant. Or perhaps I’d prefer to walk beside
   you, determining my position by the sound of your voice; it’s always best
   to ask. If I use the sighted guide technique, I’ll probably hold onto your
   elbow and walk about a half step behind you so I can anticipate steps and
   curbs. Never try to push me ahead of you, since I’ll have no way to tell
   what’s coming next.
   9. I may use my cane or guide dog along with the sighted guide technique
   just to cover my other side and give me additional information. If I’m
   using a guide dog, always walk on the side of me opposite the dog. Never
   grab my cane and try to drag me along. I may jerk it out of your hand by
   reflex, giving you cuts or splinters. And never grab my guide dog; it’s
   trained to respond only to me.
   10. If I’m having dinner at your home, you don’t need to do everything
   by yourself. I’m always glad to help out; it feels strange to sit there
   while others are doing all the work. And if you’re having dinner at my
   home, remember that as the host, I’ll let you know if I need help with
   anything. It’s always okay to ask. If you look at or use any of my things,
   please put them back where you got them so I don’t have to look for them
   after you leave.
   11. You don’t have to redefine the English language just because I’m
   around. I use words like look and see too, and using them won’t hurt my
   feelings one bit. When I greet you, I’ll say, It’s good to see you! and
   when you have something I’m interested in, I’ll say, Let me look at it!
   Looking at an object has always involved touch as well as sight.
   12. If you’re accompanying me into an unfamiliar room, I may ask you
   about its layout. That way we can split up and do whatever we each want to
   do. If the room is crowded, I might ask for your help finding people or I
   may just want to circulate on my own. Never grab me and try to push me into
   a chair or move me to a different place; blind people hate being manhandled
   all the time.
   13. If you come up to me while I’m in a group, always say Hi!” and call
   me by name so I know you’re talking to me. If you are leaving, say goodbye;
   it’s just common courtesy. Never play “Can you guess who this is?” since I
   may not know you by your voice, and that would be embarrassing for both of
   us. I meet a lot of people and can’t remember everyone.
   14. When I’m getting into your car, I won’t need help opening and
   closing the door or putting on the seatbelt. I ride in a lot of cars and
   know where things are. If you see something remarkable while you’re driving
   it’s okay to mention it, but there’s no need to give me a running
   commentary. Even though I don’t drive, I get around and may be able to
   offer you directions if you need them.
   15. If you’re riding in the front seat of a bus, you don’t have to jump
   up and run to the back of the bus when I get on or insist that I sit in
   your seat, although it’s okay to ask if I need it. Blind people aren’t
   required by law to sit in the front of the bus; the only time you may need
   to give me your seat is if I ask you to do so. I may want to sit in the
   back of the bus since it’s easier for me to leave by the back door than it
   is to try to fight my way through the people coming on, or I may dislike
   sitting sideways. I appreciate knowing if there’s a vacant seat next to
   you.
   16. Under the law, blind people can go wherever members of the public
   are invited to go. That means I have the right to go to ballgames,
   restaurants and amusement parks, ride in planes and trains, and stay in
   hotels. I won’t need a handicapped accessible room or other adaptations. I
   like to have fun like everyone else, although some of the methods I use may
   be a little different. When I go to a ballgame I like to tune in to a radio
   station so I can hear the play by play. In a museum I like to have things
   described to me and know if there are things I can touch. I have absolutely
   no desire to climb out of a moving roller coaster or other ride, so you
   don’t have to worry about my safety.
   17. If I’m eating in your restaurant, please show me to my table. I may
   want to take your arm or just walk behind you, but if I do that, please
   keep talking. I may need the server to read the menu to me if there isn’t a
   Braille one. Just review the sections and when I ask, tell me the menu
   items in that section. If I’m interested in something, I’ll ask you to read
   the listing to me, including the price. When you bring my food, you don’t
   have to tell me where each food item is; I can figure that out by myself.
   When you bring me the check, I’ll need you to read it to me and if I pay by
   credit card or charge it to my room, I’ll tell you what tip to add and have
   you show me where to sign.
   18. I need to keep my cash organized so I know which bills are which.
   When you give me change, tell me the denomination of each bill and its
   position such as, The $10 is on top and the $5 is underneath it. If you do
   that, I can figure out which are the $1 bills. Don’t get impatient if I
   take a couple of seconds to put my money in order or fold the bills into
   shapes I can recognize later. I can identify coins by touch: they’re all
   different sizes, and the dimes and quarters have ridged edges.
   19. If you’re interviewing me for a job, treat me like any other job
   applicant. I’ll want to know about the essential functions of the job and
   how they’re usually performed. I say usually because I may need to use
   non-visual techniques, including computer speech or Braille, or I may use
   the same methods as everyone else. If you want to know how I’d do
   something, just ask; I’d rather answer a lot of questions than have you
   write me off because of my blindness.
   20. If I go to work for you, treat me like your other employees. Show me
   what I need to do, teach me what I need to know, and expect the same level
   of performance from me as you do from everyone else. If you’re handing out
   challenging assignments, make sure I get my fair share. If I need to use
   speech, Braille, or other forms of technology, please make sure I have
   complete access to your systems so I can do a competent job. Remember that
   I want to do a good job for you, so if I make mistakes, tell me what they
   are and what I need to do to correct them. And don’t assume that because I
   do well at my job, I want to stay in it forever. I’m willing to take some
   risks and want to be considered for advancement just like everyone else.

In summary, always keep in mind that you and I are alike in more ways than we are different. I’m a normal human being who just lacks the sense of sight, and I have the same kinds of interests as everyone else. Take the time to get to know me, and you’ll understand.

*(Updated 06/22/2016)*