[rehab] Job ads requirements

Bonnie Mosen bonnie at mosen.org
Thu Sep 21 22:07:21 UTC 2017

HI David and all. I'm a former vr counselor--having worked for Tenessee and
Massachusetts, and now counselors must have or be close to getting an
mrc--masters in rehabilitation counseling if they are in state or Federal
government or funded agencies. I think sometimes there may be a substitution
with social work or related fields, but they still may have to work towards
that qualification. This hasn't always been true. I remember when I got my
first job, straight out of grad school, most of the counselors had degrees
in everything from social work to art history with most not having anything
past a BA. Every vr posting I've seen over the past few years has had the
mrc qualification as an essential requirement. I'm sure there are some
counselors who have been grandfathered in, but all new hires have to have
the degree. I now live in NZ where vocational rehab doesn't exist as it does
in the US. Our equivalent are called employment consultants, and they are
much like what we saw years ago with no degree or experience. Employment
isn't a high priority for our blind services agency and it is extremely
discouraging for me to see coming from a voc rehab background. I've
interviewed for several of these employment consultant jobs and have
basically been told I'm "overqualified".
Cheers
Bonnie Mosen     -----