[rehab] Fwd: CFPB Tips for Student Loan Borrowers with Disabilities

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 22:48:07 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau <donotreply at consumerfinance.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:49 -0500
Subject: CFPB Tips for Student Loan Borrowers with Disabilities
To: anmolpbhatia at gmail.com

cfpb_logo________________________________________________________________________

Good afternoon,

People with disabilities have an increased likelihood of experiencing
financial insecurity. Student loan obligations may contribute to this
financial distress. However, federal student loans have a range of
protections under federal law. These protections are designed to
prevent borrowers from struggling with unaffordable monthly payments.

*Read our tips for student loan borrowers with disabilities:
* *www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/blog/understand-your-options-tips-student-loan-borrowers-disabilities/*
[ https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/blog/understand-your-options-tips-student-loan-borrowers-disabilities/
]

Student loan borrowers with disabilities face unique challenges when
repaying student loan debt. Last year, theDepartment of Education
identified approximately 387,000 borrowers with severe disabilities
that were eligible for Total and Permanent Disability Discharge [
https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-department-education-acts-protect-social-security-benefits-borrowers-disabilities
], 179,000 of which were in default.

*Read our blogpost for tips to help navigate repayment options.* [
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/blog/understand-your-options-tips-student-loan-borrowers-disabilities/
]

Thank you,

Vanessa Krueger
Office of Financial Empowerment
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Sign up to receive regular updates from the Office of Financial
Empowerment and learn more about our work at
*www.consumerfinance.gov/empowerment/ [
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/empowerment/ ]*.**

About the CFPB

The CFPBis a 21st century agency that helps consumer finance markets
work by making rules more effective, by consistently and fairly
enforcing those rules, and by empowering consumers to take more
control over their economic lives.

Learn more atconsumerfinance.gov [
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=template_homepage%0D%0A
].