[rehab] Blindness mannerisms:

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Sat Sep 30 15:45:01 UTC 2017

I say, get rid of the shades, or else make them optional!  No need putting
all blind folks in the same boat, let each advance based on his or her
capabilities, but deny exposure to none.  I don't care what training centre
I may find myself in, but I shall never wear any shades especially if they
make me feel uncomfortable.  Sighted folks don't wear shades unless they
choose to; so, why should I wear one against my wishes as a blind person?

I should advance or progress at my own pace, not at some artificial pace set
by anyone else!  I am computer literate, 99% self thought through
experimentation of my own.  I help a lot of sighted folks with
computer-related issues.  I use a touchscreen smartphone in Android land.
Some, blind and sighted alike, still want phones with regular keypads!  They
each have a right to this choice; each will adjust and make other choices
when their desired choice is no longer available.  A touchscreen phone was
DAUNTING for me in the beginning; but, I kept throwing punches at it until I
got it to submit and now, we're the best of friends!  Yikes, I even send and
receive faxes on my Shiny touchscreen Android toy!  In a few months, I do
plan to WALK AWAY completely from a Windows OS computer and its associated
screen readers.  Why so?  Well, my preferred Windows Screen Reader went out
of business!  I have work to do and I won't pay somewhere between $200 to
$250 per hour to have new scripts written for the apps I use for work daily
for any other screen reader.  I've found comparable apps in Android land,
and their deployment is so much cheaper.  Besides, I am able to interact
with app developers in Android land and have them make the necessary changes
that have rendered the apps I need more accessible.

I don't agree that blindness is a characteristic; I never chose to be blind,
but, so what?  I am, and I'm comfortable with it!  The absent-mindedness of
sighted folks, young or old, always knocks my socks off my feet!  In my home
I mow my own lawn, turn on and off my own sprinkler systems and even set its
timer, use a flat top stove, flat screen microwave with no additional
labels, use scrubbing bubbles to wash my three bathrooms, vacuum my carpets
with a regular vacuum cleaner, etc.  At a restaurant, if I am having
difficulties with cutting my steak, heck, I tear them apar with my fingers
and eat!  It's my food, I paid for it.  You can watch or stare at me all day
long, I am not bothered.  What matters is that I am doing that which works
for me!  I do travel pretty well, familiar area or not, and I use a cane.

My mannerisms DO NOT make me superior to myself or anyone!  I am open to
learning anything and everything new, but I am not available for
insults--cheap, expensive or priceless--on account of my blindness!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

---