[rehab] Blindness mannerisms:

Angel238 angel238 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 30 11:19:10 UTC 2017

I thank you for your most kind offer to assist me, a person whom you don't
know.  To deal with a difficult situation.  But, it is not necessary.  Allow
me to say right now, It has been my personal experience, those in the blind
community, are among the kindest, and the most considerate persons it has
been my pleasure, and honor to know.  I am sorry I might have given the
impression this occurred recently.  It happened over 50 years ago.  Even
before the "Rehabilitation act of 1973".  When, in my state, the only
requisite to be a rehabilitation councilor, was that one have a seventh
grade education.  Though this particular counselor, about whom I wrote, was
among the few holding a Bachelors degree.   Sense that time, I have
accomplished successfully many things, as a totally blind person.  I brought
this example to your attention to point out, too often, we blind people
become so absorbed with our own success, as  blind persons.  We forget there
are levels of success.  Which must be achieved by all.  Before an equal
level might be reached.  Also, perhaps, to bring out the fact, there are
those among us, who hate themselves,and others, because we, and they are
blind.  I went to school with a young woman.  Who was guilty of this hatred.
She wasn't afraid to let us know this either.  As soon as it became
possible, she broke relationship with any blind persons altogether.
Regarding the sleep shade incident about which you wrote.  Take comfort in
the knowledge, those who "cheat" while using them will suffer in the end.
It takes enormous levels of self confidence for a partially seeing person to
abandon himself to traveling with only his other senses, and a white cane.
Those who do travel while using sleep shades have my undying admiration.
Because the temptation to cheat while using them is so great.  You are
certainly among those whom I admire.  Because you understand, perhaps
intuitively, you will never be sorry for developing the enormous self
discipline it takes to abandon ones sight. In favor of  trusting  solely his
other senses, along with just a white cane.  To inform him about his
surroundings.  Those who aren't as wise as are you, and do cheat,  often
fail to realize the jeopardy they put themselves in by not developing this
self confidence.  Which assist them in other areas of life.  Because, skills
learned in one area of rehabilitation radiate.  Touching other aspects of a
blind persons life.     They might come to a point when their sight provides
them with false information about their immediate surroundings.  Which
might, in turn, lead them to experience unforeseen, and most unfavorable
consequences.  When I was a little girl, in the 1950's.  There were,
learning with us totally blind scholars, in our resource room, scholars with
only partial sight.  In those days, it was a requirement we all learn to
read and to write Braille with our fingers only,   Regardless our level of
sight.  Some of these partially sighted children felt it was "cool" to
"cheat".  By looking as much as was possible at the Braille.  They were
assigned to read.  Of course, in those days, our sighted teachers also were
proficient readers and writers of Braille with their fingers alone.  As many
had learned the code to instruct the blinded world war II former soldiers.
The philosophy, then being, one could not successfully teach a challenged
person unless he could perform the same tasks he was attempting to teach
experiencing in as much as was possible, the same challenge.  As did those
whom he taught.  In any case, many of these children, and I  remained
friends throughout the years.  Without exception, they, all, eventually lost
the partial sight they had then.  They, then were unable to read Braille at
all.  Because they hadn't learned to read the code with their fingers alone.
Of course the reading of the code might have lost some of its importance for
some blind people, because of modern technology.  But, at that time it was
essential to know.  To lead a well rounded, successful life, as a blind
person.  There was an exception to this.  There was a partially seeing girl.
With whom I went to school.  Who never abandoned her sleep shades.  When
learning to read the code.  She read Braille with her fingers with as much
fluency as did we, who were totally blind from birth.  I am sure this helped
her a great deal.  Because when she graduated from high school, she got a
job as a medical transcriber at a local hospital.  This was long prior to
the development of modern day computers, and word processors.  With their
spell and grammar checks.