[Rehab] Question about WIOA and Subminimum Wage Sheltered Workshops

Daniel Frye dbfrye0468 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 21:53:07 UTC 2019

And obscure provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 known as Section 14-C gave most employers the right to pay persons with disabilities at sub minimum wages, based on certain productivity standards that would determine what proportion of the minimum wage they should be compensated at at any given time. The law and the formulas are much more complex than this brief reply, but this legislation, offered during an era of limited believe in the ability of persons with disabilities, remains on the record books even today. Members of the national Federation of the blind have been working for several years to have the section repealed; increasing support for repealing this language is developing. I feel confident that in time, this antiquated provision will ultimately be eliminated.

Dan Frye
(410) 241-7006 (personal mobile)

Please forgive brevity and any typographical errors.
Sent from my iPhone