[Rehab] Question about WIOA and Subminimum Wage Sheltered Workshops

Angel238 angel238 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 01:15:05 UTC 2019

I wrote a paper on the sheltered workshop situation in the early 1970's.  I
assume the same principle still stands.  There were exemptions granted to
sheltered workshops.  Giving them the legal right not to pay their workers
minimum wage.  The idea being:  Government stipends would be drastically
cut, or eliminated altogether, .  If minimum wage were to be paid.  Should
there be a time when workers would be discharged, for whatever reason; there
would be a lag time before their government stipends would be restored.  The
question would be, then:  How those people would survive till that time
came.    I believe there is a place for the sheltered workshop, however.
Where it might not be profitable for the workers to be paid the minimum
wage.  Many who work at sheltered facilities are mentally challenged.  These
workers aren't able to work successfully in a competitive environment.  If
sheltered workshops were required by law to pay the minimum wage, they would
no longer be sheltered.  Enabling sighted mentally capable people to fill
jobs formerly held by those who, for one reason or other, aren't able to
work in a competitive environment.  I heard last year of an undocumented
alien, in my local area, who was deported.  He was working at a job which we
blind people use to perform, in those days at our local sheltered workshop
for the blind.  Admittedly, he was receiving at least the minimum wage.  The
job at which he worked was not given to one of us blind workers.  Rather it
was given to a person who was, firstly sighted, and secondly, wasn't
supposed to be in this country at all.  How many similar jobs are taken from
persons possessing various challenges.  Simply because there are sighted
able-bodied persons willing to do the work.