[Rehab] Question about WIOA and Subminimum Wage Sheltered Workshops

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Wed Jan 23 07:05:51 UTC 2019

Hi Dick,

I actually haven't had this conversation with the people at my workplace. I didn't want to cross-contaminate my work relationships by looking like an advocate in the workplace, if you get what I mean. Now that you bring it up, I'm a little bit afraid to ask. I don't think this happens where I work, but all I really know is the training I did with them at the beginning of their program, where they came for about a week of sleepshade training.

As you probably know, I'm a Board Member of the National Association of Blind Students, which means that I'm regularly talking to students across the country. When I meet students for the first time, I like to get to know them, just like anyone else. When they tell me about their summer work programs and other experiences on their career and personal development paths, I do my best to pay attention because I genuinely like learning about and connecting with people. Sometimes, I notice trends, and, sometimes, I notice things that go against the trends. This phenomenon seemed odd to me, so I wanted to get a better handle on it.

Rest assured, when I meet people who sound like good candidates for programs like the ones offered at BLIND, Inc., I encourage them to consider attending.

Aloha,

Justin