[Rehab] FW: Looking for the next Head of Business Development

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Thu Mar 21 21:29:20 UTC 2019

*From:* Lewis, Anil [mailto:ALewis at nfb.org]
*Sent:* Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:14 PM
*To:* Dick Davis <ddavis at blindinc.org>
*Subject:* FW: Looking for the next Head of Business Development

For posting

Anil Lewis, M.P.A.

(410) 659-9314 x 2374

National Federation of the Blind

*From:* Platt Allen [mailto:pallen at lighthousefw.org
<pallen at lighthousefw.org>]
*Sent:* Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:07 PM

Friends,

As you know, I am the President/CEO of the Lighthouse for the Blind of Fort
Worth. Since December I have been using traditional resources to try and
find our next Head of Business Development and Sales. Alas, I have not had
any luck. So, I am reaching out to you all to help with my search.

The Lighthouse for the Blind of Fort Worth is a 501(c)(3) Tax Exempt
organization. Do not let that fool you into thinking that we live on the
donation line. We do not. We currently have a revenue stream of about $13
million generated through the sale of a variety of products. Our peak was
$24 million in 2015. Our objective is to reach $30 million in 5 years and
$60 million in 10. It is aggressive, but attainable with the right person
leading the sales team. We are able to participate in the Federal
AbilityOne Program and the Texas State-Use Program because of our mission
to employ and serve people who are blind. Our customers include Federal
agencies like DLA and GSA; State of Texas agencies like TxDOT, Dept of
Family and Protective Services, and the Attorney General; and commercial
customers like AT&T, BOCKS Board, and a variety of Texas counties. We have
58 employees and currently operate at 98% blind direct labor on our
production lines.

Our product suite is intentionally diverse. Our biggest revenue line is 30%
recycled copy paper and virgin copy paper, next is our 36 styles of foam
cushioned boxes. We also have an Optical Lab where I have folks who are
blind making glasses for people who can see (I love the irony). We have a
sonic welding lab where we are assembling and packaging oral fluid and
urine based tests for drugs of abuse. We make cores and tubes on two spiral
winders. We also supply a variety of “specialty” products like shooting
targets, zip ties, pen and pencil sets, the full line of Spectracide
products, and a variety of flashlights. We are always looking for new
products that will grow revenue and job opportunities.

We have 3 outside sales associates focused on the box and tube business,
drug testing, and optical lab services. We have one customer service and
sales support person. We have an external communications person that is
shared between sales, development and client services.

That should give you a thumbnail sketch of the organization. If you know of
someone that might be interested in helping grow our business so that we
can serve the ever growing population of people who are blind, please send
their information my way. Thanks for reading.

Yours in service,

Platt