[Rehab] Leading Voices of Diversity and Inclusion

Edward Bell ebell at pdrib.com
Wed Jun 17 14:56:18 UTC 2020

Leading Voices of Diversity and Inclusion

Lift Every Voice.

  <https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr39/2/fr3902tc.htm>
Future Reflections, a magazine for parents and teachers of blind children,
published their latest journal focusing on ethnic and cultural diversity.
Great timing! The leading voices of this journal revealed the mission and
vision of the Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness
at Louisiana Tech University. We take pride in educating and preparing those
who are called to be educators, consumers, counselors, and change agents in
the blindness field. Several authors in the journal's Special Issue bear the
fruit of our labor.

Leading Voice Rosie Ramirez Carranza introduces the issue as one that
explores and examines issues related to blindness along with identity,
ethnicity, and culture. She urges us to engage in self-reflective practices
in hopes that we transform into people who search for a deeper understanding
of the world around us. She reminds us of the importance of "recognizing the
continued and intensified segregation by race and class within the United
States public education system." She's leading us toward the goal of equity.
Read  <https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr39/2/fr390202.htm>
Navigating Toward Equity for the full story.

Equity is freedom from bias, favoritism, partiality, and prejudice.

Leading Voice Colin Wong is a 2017 Louisiana Tech graduate and an NOMC
(National Orientation and Mobility) instructor. He speaks to us about
Chinese American culture. He informed us that in his culture blindness is
viewed as life-ending. Despite the cultural norms, his father taught him
that success involves facing discrimination and prioritizing education.

 Colin engaged us in dialogue about the myth of the Model Minority and how
this theory created an educational resource gap for him. Dealing with
expectations, Colin revealed that "his personal high expectations as a
Chinese student seemed out of reach due to the lowered expectations his
disability created." Through living, learning, and the strength he drew from
his family, he knows that he is not a model minority, he is not a broken
sighted person, but he is a leading voice for staying true to his cultural
foundations and overcoming the systemic barriers of the education system.
Read  <https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr39/2/fr390206.htm>
My Education Narrative: Negotiating School and Culture as a Blind Chinese
American for the full story.

Leading Voice Justin Salisbury is a 2013 Louisiana Tech graduate an NOMC
(National Orientation and Mobility) instructor. He leads the conversation
about Indian (also known as indigenous) culture. He stated that "it is vital
to start [the conversation] by explaining settler colonialism, the act of
replacing the original population of a territory along with replacing the
customs and culture of the people.

Justin believes that attempts to invalidate identity exist within the Indian
culture as well as the blindness field. He understands that as Indian and
blind the public has many misperceptions and stereotypes about both minority
groups. He warns, "my culture is not a costume!" Justin hopes to live in
harmony with the privileged majority groups and make his dreams a reality by
working together. Read
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr39/2/fr390208.htmm>
Reflections from Turtle Island: The Intersection of Blindness and Indigenous
North American Identity for the full story.

Leading Voice Conchita Hernandez Legorreta is a 2012 Louisiana Tech graduate
and teacher of blind students (TBS). She speaks to us about Latinx culture
and immigrant backgrounds. In her article,
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr39/2/fr390204.htm>
Educating Blind English Learners: A Conversation with Conchita Hernandez
Legorreta, she allowed us to get a view of her life as an immigrant with a
disability. She learned from her family the importance of support,
mentoring, and modifications. She understands the difficult decision her
parents made when they migrated to the United States for her to receive
better resources and services. Conchita stated that she is bearing the fruit
of her parents' labor.

One fruit in particular is mentioned in her article,
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr39/2/fr390212.htm>
Cambiando Vidas: How a Small Group of Friends Started a Movement, where she
details how her and a group of friends started a movement. As they planned a
trip to visit a school for the blind in Guadalajara, they created and
founded METAS (Mentoring, Engaging, and Teaching All Students), a nonprofit
organization. Their organization and movement focus on educating and
supporting blind Spanish-speaking individuals and their families. Conchita
is another fruit of the labor at the Professional Development and Research
Institute on Blindness.

As an African American woman from a single-parent home in rural Louisiana, I
can attest to the systemic barriers in public education. From personal
experience, I know how low expectations from others influence our lives. I
am also aware of the desires of those who look to replace my culture. Like
our former graduates, I value family and my support system when staying true
to myself while fighting for the rights of myself and others.

We at the Institute on Blindness are committed to providing leadership in
creating methods, techniques, and programs that empower blind individuals.

Want to become a leading voice.

Visit  <http://www.pdrib.com> www.pdrib.com to find out more about our
degree programs and research work.

Edward C. Bell, Ph.D., CRC, NOMC, Director,

Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness

Louisiana Tech University

600 Mayfield Ave / 210 Woodard Hall

PO Box 3158

Ruston LA 71272

Office: 318.257.4554                      Fax: 318.257.2259

 <mailto:ebell at latech.edu> ebell at latech.edu  www.pdrib.com

"I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of  Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal  talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops."

-- Stephen Jay Gould