[Rehab] Summer internship opportunities within the rehabilitation counseling field

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Mon Mar 1 19:36:13 UTC 2021

Dear Vejas,

There is an organization called the National Council of State Agencies for
the Blind.  I suggest sending a personal letter to each state director and
asking about summer work opportunities.

I suggest contacting Brian Dulude in Arizona, Emily Wharton in Iowa, and
Kate Williams at the San Francisco Lighthouse for the Blind, also Jennifer
Wenzel at Vision Forward in Milwaukee.  Check with the placement people,
especially Molly. at the Oregon Commission for the Blind.  No, I am not
going to look up their phone numbers and emails for you, as you are more
than capable of doing that yourself.  Consider job placement and career
development jobs too.  Some opportunities may be unpaid, but experience is
what matters.

You should be on both the NFB job-listings and job-discussions listserv,
as well as the rehab one that you are on.

If you want to work with an NFB training center, stick to career planning,
job development, and job placement.  Make sure whatever you do is related
to careers.  You might also contact Maurice Peret at the National Center.
He might have some volunteer work with transition age youth, which is a
growing group today.

If you can stand that kind of work, there are rehab counselors who work
for the state Disability Determination Service (DDS) in California
determining people's eligibility for SSDI and SSI benefits.

Also for state Worker's Compensation Programs in Labor departments,
assessing residual work capacity and helping return people to employment.
There are private firms like Crawford Rehab that help people on private
disability insurance get back to work.  The private sector pays really
well.

Best,