[SC-CSTD] FW: eye.t Weekly: Creating Tables on Microsoft Word

Frank Loza floza58 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 10 19:44:11 UTC 2023

From: eye.t <info at eyetvision.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2023 10:16 AM
To: floza58 at bellsouth.net
Subject: eye.t Weekly: Creating Tables on Microsoft Word

Everything you need to know to create tables!

  <https://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=6938e4f9-83b5-458b-9564-cf0cf705867b&a=1134090381698&c=064c0274-1bf1-11ec-9085-fa163e25e9d8&ch=064e29aa-1bf1-11ec-9085-fa163e25e9d8>

  <https://files.constantcontact.com/289ed0d0801/23d1e984-b1a3-4e10-bed8-4f8a12286133.png?rdr=true>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

Welcome to our weekly newsletter for this week of 1/9/23, where we'll put you in the know of anything eye.t!

This week's edition includes:

*     eye.t LIVE: Navigating and Creating Tables

*     Screen Reader Tidbits: Creating Tables on Microsoft Word

*     Upcoming Events: Maryland Regional Braille Challenge

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <https://files.constantcontact.com/289ed0d0801/cf66e2a5-5d53-4bd8-8b19-4c5b09dd1534.png?rdr=true>

eye.t LIVE: Navigating and Creating Tables

TOMORROW IS THE DAY!

Tune in to our YouTube channel at 5 PM EST tomorrow to learn everything about creating and navigating tables!

We will give you live demos on how to work with tables and answer all your questions, so you don't want to miss out!

Click the link below and bookmark the page, we can't wait to see you there!

 <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1rxO-w8sJLVoWgRilek2Mj3Nn6MlfkK7DsgOkqjB0OreLsTUccdsDoo8YDr5YXbQaCLL61xvC8AcmbIj9p94ToDdwE_ICpVpEcpUsFXYV_oYnWfk3ZDaAX3n_cc0QRFHvbLbKrPAKe5UGCpJnlHcWNR0=&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==> Click here to bookmark the livestream link!

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

Creating Tables on Microsoft Word

Ok so last week we talked about reading tables, but what happens when you need to create a table to organize your data. Now, you can create a table on lots of programs, but today, we’ll be talking about how to create tables on Microsoft Word. Remember, this process is exactly the same for JAWS and NVDA.

Before we even talk about how to create a table, let’s first discuss how to approach this topic in a meaningful way. Remember, learning a skill for a reason is always more motivating than learning it just to learn it.

First: What are you organizing?

That is the question you need to answer before you start teaching. You can either look for something in your learner’s classes that needs to be organized into a table, or you can take one of our suggestions below. Either way, choosing a task or a "challenge" will help you to create that buy-in before starting, especially since this will definitely be a bit challenging.

Potential Tasks to choose from:

1.  Create your daily schedule

2.  Conduct a poll of teachers asking what is their favorite ice cream flavor or similar

3.  Start a "braille reading log" recording the date, number of minutes read and a summary

4.  Create a "key command cheat sheet" with challenging key commands. One column could be the function and the next could be the key command

Second: What are rows and columns?

Once you have chosen your task, do not forget to review with your learner what tables actually are. Remember they have rows which are horizontal and are stacked on top of each other, and they have columns which are vertical and standing next to each other.

Your learner should be pretty comfortable with this concept before starting to create tables. If they are not, check out  <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1rxO-w8sJLVoWwgOZM_kH_YtLwpkmQVGCxMEjfgQXHaXpJZuDkgAmvw3H_JlPkFF2QaNEByVsa7CGP2qYUiAJpwhzudKRe6PHB0yW3G7GiVx2M14Xy7VBKjCJ3pSFPKsfOQ==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==> last week’s video on reading tables before you continue.

Step 1: Jump to the Ribbon

To Insert our table, we need to use the Ribbon. Now, if you have not taught your learner how to use the ribbon yet take a look at our  <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1rxO-w8sJLVoWkbTanN5ME1fqsN1zA28mT84qYWmORdBS65aQGn-DA9-7NGtkzapANGDYJw-g1C8u5q06AQLMIsbzMTHCeKxB_FKT_WMuEOSjqoZ_gK87cCjQi9dBjKIKH1-CrRphi_DA&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==> Video on Navigating the Ribbon before moving on. It’s important to lay that groundwork before jumping into an intermediate skill like this one.

First, let’s think about which tab of the ribbon "Insert Table" might be in. Here are some options:

*     Insert

*     Design

*     Layout

*     View

Yeah it’s definitely in the Insert Tab. Again, watch that video on navigating the ribbon for more information.

Step 2: Go to "Table"

And you might know from navigating the ribbon you can either press Tab until you hear "Table" or you can press an associated letter. In this case, "T".

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <https://files.constantcontact.com/289ed0d0801/1cac1d50-fa3e-4465-b2f9-3bd75c27455b.png?rdr=true>

Step 3: Move Down for Rows

At this point, you’ll see a dialog box pop up asking you how large you want your table to be. Let’s start with telling Word how many rows our table will be.

Remember, rows are stacked on top of each other so if we want to add more rows, we will move in which direction? Yeah that’s right, we will move down those stacked rows, so down arrow key. Now, the dialog should already have one row so count your rows starting at 2.

Add a row: Down Arrow Key

Step 4: Move Over for Columns

We now need to add our columns. This is the same idea EXCEPT, our columns are not stacked, they are standing next to each other. So, which direction will we move to add more columns? ...yup we will move to the right...right arrow key.

Add a column: Right Arrow Key.

Once you have all of your rows and columns added, press enter...and you are done!

Reminders

You may have noticed but these skills that pop up in your inbox are no longer basic skills. These are more for learners who are at the intermediate to advanced level. If your learner doesn’t know their basics, do not stress yourself (or your student) out by powering through a skill they are not ready for. Instead, take a look at some other more basic skills.

At this point, we have made over 25 Tech Tip Tuesday videos on skills that might better serve your learner, or if you’d like a more structured, step by step process, take a look at our Screen Reader Curriculum (take a look below). This curriculum is designed for learners who are just starting their screen reader journey and includes tests, quizzes, data sheets and tons of videos each no longer than 10 minutes.

Just remember, learning to use JAWS, or NVDA is a multi-year process, just like learning braille and rushing through before your learner is ready is why so many learners have negative feelings about screen readers.

Do your learner a favor...don’t rush. Trust me, it will be worth it in the long run.

As always, if you have any questions about this skill or others, feel free to reply to this email, and we will see you next week to learn about changing the font style and font size in Microsoft Word.

Have a great week!

-Cody

 <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1rxO-w8sJLVoWsJM9jw3vxY2WylhnMsvQoQ1FR2pSzc2UsZJVD8qGFqf82UViNtBJJjAN_vh32sgSm52xvVd3pmhVVZwj4fzCAowJfxTHz4VyN_S0dYr1xeGmYgDm8XwX5Q==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==> Click here to watch our Tech Tip Tuesday for this topic!

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

UPCOMING EVENTS!

Maryland Regional Braille Challenge

The 2023 Maryland Regional Braille Challenge is a competitive reading and writing competition at the Maryland School for the Blind! Braille Challenge is the only academic competition of its kind held in January through March each year for students who are blind or visually impaired. Braille Institute developed Braille Challenge to motivate students to practice and hone their braille literacy skills, which are essential to academic and employment success.

At this event, we'll have our own booth and informative session where you can stop by and learn more, or just say hello!

WHEN: Saturday, February 4th 2023

WHERE: Maryland School for the Blind

 <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1r0sCbQ8DQvHJF3aMSUFLxj2sqJv38g_uemrgV3RCKzveF3g543oo662zESxhZdxo8wmJ3ObazQ-UznIGx1sVPPxeUo8UOUpFq-59VpunTV6CPl0Bi_C6qiYeGJRY0lmZBg==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==> Click here to learn more information!

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

The Screen Reader Curriculum

  <https://files.constantcontact.com/289ed0d0801/7ed4371e-1ff8-49b8-9115-6c0d158f2d32.png?rdr=true>

Part 1: Working With Text

*     Instructor Edition only

*     Reading, writing, and editing text

*     80+ instructional videos

*     Practice Activities: Through the Magnifying Glass and Julia's Journal

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <https://files.constantcontact.com/289ed0d0801/c5c9c468-1c78-4cf5-b4ba-6ead8b090572.png?rdr=true>

Part 2: Basic Internet Navigation

*     Both an Instructor and Student edition

*     3 method of Internet Navigation

*     70+ instructional videos

*     Practice Activities: Mock websites and Navigation Candyland

 <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1r15CRvlQT5S7HZEalJuCWpl-IE0AyhQcYlMpOF0LBhAMIEjHf36d67now6b6gHHAfWUDGnEPUQEZxuB3ydN9uRBbW6D1eda0SQ==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==> Click here to learn more about our courses!

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

EYET LLC | (410) 405-7380 |  <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1r6rlV-fE41N20ihLyBMTs3e1vWKtimb9bxqcN_wi4YDz6IYJn1bAjtf-QjcxMlj0T6Hgf958Bt2hYPf15KX406kd-BlBB23LhQ==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==> eyetvision.com

 <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1r9kg-sJMukbr8HBU7lkCvdMG-Q8oUFk0zwslHKf4yH6-nAmXhhn9LOsknwIh4jE9LAmo6-lkHJahdC9zjcWCI-4ZFcwEk1kXABjmEcXlK5j_uJ3Ztx_8OLtgxN3A-O2diQ==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==>   <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1rwMTOnxaT7Zdd2zrLbo0LFCmSXfmZ7wSUKl_Q53tIVh3EjBefQacVSCD454iYx2sGdeebFCGC4wyzA54aznPrQ__M0X9m7eGA_KazsSYnERAumkFj685XYI=&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==>    <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1r4AkdPejFRiaRaN5j5BbE-4S8hJufqJq-0l9kpQxhRgQ7VhDmbPZr1hXRrJqacg5e7vUWikMwDGojpZg7YUgzFxr21RUx-hsmkGlXFzcRmSK4L67cTQJJmibjaWiVODpZg==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==>    <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1r4gBCyORRAGFZmEM2Zjz6XLenkS653fBLQSaL-Y3SAYPpuo7bd7jDEt05rf4r0yds0SWv6UrWl3k8okLoQFdq_b-mRmi6uCg-g==&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==>    <https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d6w9yxpvLXzwbRSGZlhkQbdkVkGJITJFK4Sb08hMqtan-1ZikEP1rwCSksZyea7NUfUfHLenl81E8xkML2DAd4zftNj42iBq1eZy_p1M73G5EYIOiG6tnxcPb_1NN5dDeBt3S4sdn4rawNDPVQ6Rat9v5I5P_lRrS1tUa6B0BTbv8E4lfECDORR1HeVlqKJd&c=zUBAD1Xsr4Jbc28vjo8yfXBKPJIQ7VgMTxWBVQCznKAimF-ZFSiK1A==&ch=INMa0tp1gytkwf4ecfoIkuWluRs-1BfP6JGqqalWg23DCNdwX2hd7Q==>

EYET LLC | 750 Concourse Cir, STE 103 #317, Middle River, MD 21220

 <https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001LWtV9vCh9yOxFOC8kT6EPw%3D&ch=064e29aa-1bf1-11ec-9085-fa163e25e9d8&ca=6938e4f9-83b5-458b-9564-cf0cf705867b> Update Profile |  <http://www.constantcontact.com/legal/about-constant-contact> Constant Contact Data Notice

Sent by  <mailto:info at eyetvision.com> info at eyetvision.com in collaboration with

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF21_CPE&nav=6938e4f9-83b5-458b-9564-cf0cf705867b>

 <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=nge&rmc=VF21_CPE&nav=6938e4f9-83b5-458b-9564-cf0cf705867b> Try email marketing for free today!