[SC-CSTD] FW: NCBI Labs Technology Newsletter Edition 176

Frank Loza floza58 at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 20 18:37:12 UTC 2023

From: NCBI Labs <labs at ncbi.ie>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2023 12:21 PM
To: floza58 at bellsouth.net
Subject: NCBI Labs Technology Newsletter Edition 176

 <https://mailchi.mp/1b498495e324/ncbi-labs-technology-newsletter-edition-4039066?e=bcd617a5bc> View this email in your browser

  <https://mcusercontent.com/0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f/images/28f68db2-e723-900f-3bf2-c7ecc7f68dac.png>

Featured Articles

*	The 5 Apps I cannot do without
*	Seeing AI can now see a little better. What’s new in Seeing AI 5.2
*	Updates from Gmail
*	Upcoming Labs Virtual Training Courses

The 5 Apps I cannot do without, by Joe Lonergan

  <https://mcusercontent.com/0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f/images/b37721b3-e934-431d-7f84-3cbda8f77cc9.jpg>

>From Microsoft Seeing AI to Soundscape Community, in this article Joe Lonergan shares his top five must-have accessible apps as an iPhone user.

 <https://ncbi.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f&id=1e487671c5&e=bcd617a5bc> Read the Full Article

Seeing AI can now see a little better. What’s new in Seeing AI 5.2

  <https://mcusercontent.com/0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f/images/96f89b01-4a42-1a7c-e1e5-d178ed635394.jpg>

Designed with and for the blind and low vision community, Seeing AI is a free app available on iOS that uses the camera of the device to perform several tasks such as reading text to recognising faces.

This week Microsoft released Seeing AI 5.2, introducing several powerful features that every user of this app will not want to miss.

 <https://ncbi.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f&id=3c9ea2c1bf&e=bcd617a5bc> Read the Full Article

Updates from Gmail

  <https://mcusercontent.com/0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f/images/3e0d637e-8328-f7fd-357e-fee540352275.jpg>

Changes are on the way for the Gmail app as Google is introducing Passkeys for enhanced security, replacing the traditional username-password login.

Also, from January 2024, Gmail's Basic HTML view, popular among screen reader users, will be discontinued, leaving the standard view as the only option.

 <https://ncbi.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f&id=b05cfc478a&e=bcd617a5bc> Read the Full Article

Hi Digital Courses – Unlock Your Digital Potential with NCBI Labs

  <https://mcusercontent.com/0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f/images/32de6fbd-8cdd-0a66-c96f-e58c4fe40036.png>

Are you ready to embark on a journey towards digital empowerment? NCBI Labs is thrilled to announce our FREE Digital Literacy Courses, designed to equip people with essential digital skills! Course topics include computers and the internet, using a smartphone, connecting with others, entertainment and shopping, hobbies and travel, and online banking.

 <mailto:training at ncbi.ie?subject=Hi%20Digital%20Courses%20-%20Labs%20Newsletter%20> Register your Interest!

Hable One Virtual Training Course (2 spaces left)

  <https://mcusercontent.com/0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f/images/9d309e2f-346a-4122-a88f-9ae63571d345.jpeg>

Dates: Friday 3rd & 10th November
Times: 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Details: Learn about the Hable One Braille device, and how it can interact with and control your mobile phone and act as an input device. Some topics covered include sending a text, making/answering calls, using Siri, checking your notifications, and checking the battery status. Grade 1 braille is essential for this course. There are a limited amount of Hables that can be loaned to participants on the course.

 <mailto:training at ncbi.ie?subject=Hable%20One%20Course%20-%20Labs%20Newsletter%20> Register your Interest!

Uncontracted Braille Course (5 spaces left)

  <https://mcusercontent.com/0075302c481fdf615a1e2037f/images/5161a9de-0d61-bb8e-fe12-9c9e0b5002d4.jpeg>