[Sd-talk] Introduction

Arient-Rollman, Julaine Julaine.Arient-Rollman at state.sd.us
Mon Oct 31 12:52:55 UTC 2016

Good Morning Ana,

My name is Julaine Arient-Rollman and I am from SD and I graduated from Black Hills State University.  At first, they almost didn't accept me, but they didn't tell me that.  I was their first blind person and when I told them what I needed and took the responsibility for my own actions, test arrangements and everything else I have always done in my like, they realized I was quite capable.  I graduated in '91 Summa Cum Laude - highest honors.  Ironically, when I was planning to attend the University of Florida for my Master's Degree, they thought I was a "token blind person."  WOW!  Dr. Vorhees, from BHSU, wrote them a letter and this is how I found out that I almost wasn't accepted.  Keep in mind, Dr. Vorhees was on the Graduate Record Entrance board/committee Exam for the US.  He sang my praises and the University of Florida accepted me and I graduated a 3 year program in 1.5 years and received all three awards from my program, Scholarship, Leadership and all round Professionalism.  This is not meant to brag.  What it is meant to say that if you plan your work and work your plan, advocate for yourself, do your own work, etc.  You will have no problem.  The university is in a good size town, for SD, public transportation and a school with about 1200 students.  Not 46 thousand like the Univ. of FL.  It is a good community, good professors, and a great atmosphere.  I think, but I may be biased, you will like it very much.

If you follow through and come to SD to attend BHSU, I hope we get to meet you and I wish you nothing but the best in all of your endeavors.

Welcome to SD!

Julaine