[Small-Appliance-Cooking] Resolution or accessible appliances

Sabra Ewing sabra1023 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:09:11 UTC 2018

I never said that we should not mention a device on list. You are just making up your own things here. :-) If other people want to use the Insta pot and talk about it, that is great. I wish I could use the Insta pot as well, but ethically, I am not sure if I can. Also, it is very expensive and I do not want to pay that much for a device that is not fully accessible when I live on a fixed income. If other people wanted though, that is fine. I use a microwave that is not fully accessible because I cannot afford a fully accessible one and that bothers me a lot. Also, people can still use these devices while participating in a resolution making process to make them more accessible. At my apartment, my stove, oven, and thermostat I'm not fully accessible. They are labeled with dots now, but there is no way to make them fully accessible. My oven for example is a knob and it would be impossible to label every 25°. I never said that we should avoid mentioning or using certain devices. I have a friend with an Insta pot, but they are really expensive. Many people have talked about how they got some of these appliances and can only partially used them and I don't want to do that. And the problem is getting worse that blind people are getting left out of more and more appliances. The thermostat in my apartment is all touchscreen, but luckily, it has a remote that you can point at it. I have to use the remote and I can only do limited things on it. It has all sorts of functions like a timer and energy saver and all sorts of things that I can't use. I feel very hurt by getting left out of all of these appliances because it is another way that society is showing me that I am not welcome. And I feel that we should be able to talk about the accessibility of small appliances or lack there of, and our feelings about it. You seem to be putting up defense mechanisms to what I am saying for some reason, but hopefully you can go through your own psychological process and finally understand it.

Sabra Ewing