[Social-sciences-list] statistics course

Gabias, Paul paul.gabias at ubc.ca
Sun Aug 4 19:59:14 UTC 2013

Hi Everybody,

I took statistics for psychologists taught by a blind professor, Robert
Lambert, in under graduate school.  I recorded all of his lectures, and
I also had the book in braille.  It is called Statistics For
Psychologists, by William Hayes  It was published in 1963.  It may be
still available from the National Braille Book Bank in Rochester NY.
Later, I also had a Regression book by Cohen brailled there too.  I
recorded all of professor Cohen's lectures too.
I then taught graduate statistics at the University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  There are graphs, like the shapes of the frequency
and probability distributions and Venn diagrams.
My thesis research was statistically simple enough that I didn't have to
use SPSS.  I used binomial and chi square distributions, not too
complicated to calculate on a calculator.  My graduate assistant taught
the students SPSS.  I focussed on helping the students to understand the
mathematical proofs and assumptions underlying each of the statistics
such as M and Mew, T, chi square, and F.  Of course, some are
descriptive statistics of samples, and others are inferential
statistics, for inferring sample difference phenomena to population
difference phenomena.  Also, we concentrated on which kinds of questions
required which kinds of statistical techniques.
And, of course, the assumptions underlying these techniques are crucial
to keep in mind.  Many of the techniques rely on the assumption that the
distributions are normal, which is usually not the case in psychology.
So, we always have to remember that, when we use statistical techniques
to make inferences, these are still, somewhat imperfect tools, more
suited to probability theory than psychology.
In the end, of course, much of experimental psychology is about
gathering numbers and getting the numbers to talk to us.

All The Best

Paul Gabias Ph.D. LL.D.