[Social-sciences-list] Professionals represented on list?

Christine Szostak szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Aug 5 18:41:59 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,
  I just graduated in May of this year with my second PhD in
cognitive/experimental psychology. I earned My first PhD in 2007 in clinical
psychology.

  Over this summer I taught at a small community college in Western NC, and
just recently obtained a tenure-track assistant professorship in cognitive
psychology at Shorter University which is a small private Christian
university in western GA.

  One piece of advice I found very helpful, as I actually had a few job
offers and thus got to be a little more selective in my full time position,
was that I waited until I was offered an interview before letting them know
I was visually impaired. During the phone call where I was offered the
interview,  I noted that I wanted to let them know that I was visually
impaired,  and the reason I had not mentioned this during the initial
application phase, was that I wanted to initially be viewed solely on my
merits. All of the places that offered me interviews were very positive
about this decision and acted very respectful of it, as I said, it did not
hurt me to wait to mention it in any way as I was subsequently offered
multiple teaching positions.

  The very best of luck!! I know it is a really tough market right now, so
just hang in there and stay positive. It will happen at some point for you
so do not give up!!!!!
Have a wonderful Monday!
Christine

Christine M. Szostak, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Shorter University
Rome, Georgia

If you are interested in a professional consultation for a vision loss
related issue see:
http://findingthevision.wikidot.com

If you are in need of a professional consultation for general
research/statistical related issues see:
http://researchconsulting.wikidot.com

If you are looking for professional proof reading or editorial review
services see:
http://researchconsulting.wikidot.com