[Social-sciences-list] An Inquiry About Technology and Vision Loss

Vincent Martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Sun Jun 30 17:09:29 UTC 2013

Christine,

I still actively use my Windows machines with four different screen reading
programs, I.e. JAWS, Window-Eyes, NVDA, and HAL and also have a Linux
machine where I use EMAC speaks and the Gnome desktop.  Almost three years
ago, I purchased a MAC-mini and absolutely love it.  As a person that uses
all types of operating systems and has run the entire gamut of vision loss
from being able to drive to light perception, I do know how all the
interfaces work and most importantly, look.

The Apple environment does not work like the Windows environment does, so
you have to suspend the way in which you think things should operate.  Once
you do this, however, you learn quickly the benefits of how a Mac actually
works.  I try and use my Mac for most operations now, for one simple reason.
I have had only one, count it, one error message from my Mac since I owned
it. That was related to trying to update the Microsoft Office for the Mac,
ironically.  Once you learn all the commands and really understand the
command structure of Voice-Over, in conjunction with how the Mac operating
system works, you quickly can start to use it for all your needs.  What I
also love is that my lab on campus has mostly Macs in it.  I have a 24 inch
Mac on my desk and that is what I mostly use.  It also gives me a lot of
freedom when I need some information or are running a subject in research.
Since we have Macs in our sound booths for data collection, I can log all my
data without having to have different set-ups or make any special
arrangements.

For the instances in which I absolutely have to use a PC, I do have a
Windows partition on my Mac as well.  I just switch over and Window-Eyes is
talking to me.  I will, let anyone know that the learning curve can be
strenuous, unless you totally commit to learning to use it.  You can't use a
windows machine ninety percent of the time and think that you are going to
start working faster with your Mac.  I just decided over my Christmas break
in 2010 that I was not going to use my Windows machine unless I absolutely
had to.  Three weeks later, I had trouble using it for anything.

I recently purchased the version of Zoomtext for my Mac, since I do own
Zoomtext for Windows and provide tech support for my mother.  My friend that
is visually impaired and a full-time Mac user loves it.  She purchased a
full copy to use with her Mac.  She liked what she got from the Zoom feature
of the Mac, but a full version of Zoomtext on the Mac works great.  She did,
have to her Windows XP laptop crash for her to start using her Mac
exclusively though.  She now has a Windows machine at work, and a I-Mac and
Mac book pro laptop at home.

I also have another friend that is totally blind and finally made the leap
last Fall.  She was so frustrated that she wanted to take it back after a
week.  Three months later, she thinks it was the best decision she has ever
made.  She sold her JAWS license to another person and says if she ever has
to add a Windows partition, she is going to use NVDA.  Selling her JAWS
software paid for half of her Mac laptop!

PS- I first used a TRS 80 in the late seventies and then migrated to the
Cyber system mainframe for Fortran programming in undergrad.  I then used a
DOS based PC just to learn BASIC programming.  In early 1984 I used the
original Macintosh and was hooked within two hours.  I was absolutely
befuddled when I had to start using DOS based machines as my vision waned.