[Social-sciences-list] An Inquiry About Technology and Vision Loss

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Jun 30 19:28:28 UTC 2013

I am not sure what you mean by "use the iPhone verbally."  If you
mean Siri, the voice-activated assistant, you can't do everything the
phone does with Siri.  The iPhone does have a built-in screen reader,
VoiceOver.  You do have to learn to use the touch screen, and it is
frustrating at first.  It takes a couple weeks, or more to get
comfortable for most people, and a few things are always awkward like
entering numbers when on the phone, but for most things it works
exceedingly well.

There is also a screen enlargement application called Zooms.

Dave