[Social-sciences-list] problems with R

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Nov 14 20:10:26 UTC 2013

Hello,

The base installation of R is as accessible as stats software gets.

R commander is an add-on that uses a development toolkit that creates an inaccessible front end that overlays R. It is really useful for sighted students who have used other stats software like SPSS or Minitab where pull down menus and dialogue boxes are the normal way of working. It does alos generate R code, but this code is not just basic R but includes commands specific tot he Rcmdr library.

If you do choose to continue using R, then you will need to use R without the R commander add-on.

You may find a few useful things to help you on your way with R at
http://r-resources.massey.ac.nz
I updated a couple of the pages there yesterday actually having created a few MP3 files with some of the basic things I done with R and a few screen reader and operating system combinations.

You might drop me a line with your experiences of R and SPSS at some stage. I am trying to keep a good handle on how blind people are getting on with statistics software.

Jonathan