[Social-sciences-list] Anyone Experiencing this: A Software? Issue

Gabias, Paul paul.gabias at ubc.ca
Thu Oct 17 11:48:05 UTC 2013

Hi Christine,

I'm using Windows 7 and Microsoft 2010

With JaWS 14.  I have no problems.

All The Best

Paul Gabias

From: Social-sciences-list
[mailto:social-sciences-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Christine
Szostak
Sent: October-17-13 3:59 AM
To: Blind Social Scientists List; NFBScience and Engineering Division
List; NFB YoungProfessionals List
Subject: [Social-sciences-list] Anyone Experiencing this: A Software?
Issue

Hi All,

  Sorry for the non-directly list-related question, but I figured this
was still relevant to appear here.

  For my position at the university I am teaching in, I was given a
laptop that was originally running Windows 7 and Microsoft 2010. I have
since switched to MS 2003 Pro mainly because of my great familiarity
with it and ability to work more proficiently from it. Further, the
laptop is 64 bit.

  Currently it has JAWS v14 installed on it.

  I am running into some very annoying issues with the computer and my
IT person and I can not figure out why they are happening. I was thus
curious if anyone here is running JAWS 14 and has had the below issues.
Note that I also had these issues with MS 2010 so this is not specific
to the current combination.

  Whenever I send an email through MSOutLook JAWS seems to either freeze
up or lose focus. Further, when I hit reply it also freezes up for a few
seconds (this happens really frequently). Also, many applications,
including but not seemingly limited to MS products seem to take forever
to load or freeze the computer up. Also, in my email, once the cursor
goes over a message, even if it is not opened JAWS stops indicating that
the message is unread. This is getting very frustrating and is losing
valuable work time.

  One of the reasons I originally switched from MS 2010 was that the
computer froze up even longer when entering an app (even if just
switching between apps on the task bar) and would freeze up when saving.
Note that the freezing can last for a few seconds to a length of time
where the only viable option is to do a hard shut down.

  Any thoughts would be incredibly appreciated.

Have a wonderful and very blessed rest of the day!

Chris

Christine M. Szostak, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Shorter University
Rome, Georgia
szostak.1 at osu.edu

If you are interested in a professional consultation for a vision loss
related issue see:
http://findingthevision.wikidot.com

If you are in need of a professional consultation for general
research/statistical related issues see:
http://researchconsulting.wikidot.com

If you are looking for professional proof reading or editorial review
services see:
http://researchconsulting.wikidot.com