[Social-sciences-list] Computers and data analysis software

Vincent Martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 6 04:20:18 UTC 2014

>1. Anyone had luck using SAS, SPSS or Mplus on a Mac with VoiceOver?
>Or if I go that route, should I buckle down and learn R?
SPSS has no support with Voice over.
I'm unsure of how well R or Mplus works with that platform.

>2. Anyone know if the current version of SAS (I think it's 9.4) is still
accessible? I've been using SAS 9.2 for years, and it's great, but I've
heard that the later versions of SAS put all kinds of annoying graphs into
the output. Is all that stuff still accessible or should I switch to SPSS?
I haven't had the opportunity to work with SAS as of yet, but last fall it
was supposed ot have added the ability to read the output in the same window
as the syntax with JAWS.

>3. How user-friendly is Windows 8 with the latest version of JAWS? I hear
Windows 8 involves some kind of touch input >which scares me a bit.
It can be made to be quite accessible.  It does take a bit to get used to
though.