[Social-sciences-list] Introduction and Question About Qualitative Data Analysis Software

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 00:11:00 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I am Cindy and just joined this list. I am a first year Ph.D. student
at the University of Washington in the Human Centered design and
Engineering program. We are a multi disciplinary program where social
scientists, computer scientists, designers, information and data
scientists, and people with all manner of backgrounds collaborate. We
are broadly interested in researching and developing design strategies
and technical systems that are more human centered. In other words,
user friendly.

Have any of you ever used software to analyze qualitative data? If so,
I would love to hear from you before trying a bunch of options that
may or may not be accessible.

These softwares or websites allow you to upload documents that you
plan to analyze qualitatively along with a code list. You can then
read through documents and code them. Multiple people can mark up
documents and the program produces data such as agreement statistics
and how often certain codes are used. The reason I am a bit nervous to
spend a bunch of time exploring programs before asking anyone for
experiences is that these programs take uploaded files and convert
them so they can be marked up. So I am a bit nervous about
accessibility.

In any case, I will be trying out a few suggestions, but if anyone has
experiences, please pass them on!

Thanks!

--
Cindy Bennett
1st Year Ph.D. Student, University of Washington

Treasurer of the National Federation of the Blind of Washington
an Affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind

clb5590 at gmail.com