[Sportsandrec] Burn baby burn!

Joe Shaw jrs3147 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 04:52:21 UTC 2008

Well Saturday I had one of the toughest days I have had in a while. My buddy and I had a nice upper body lift for over an hour. We got very manly in that we worked chest and biceps reaching our max in both muscle groups pushing until we could no longer push. I decided a couple things during this lift that I previously thought but are now cemented. I like curls with dumbells better than on the machine and I hate, no really I hate it, the butterfly machine.
After this lift, we go stretch/ chill out in the sana for about twenty minutes getting a better sweat going.
After saying goodbye to Ryan and peeling off the sweatshirt as my concession to the unknown, I walk into the spin room. The most I have ever spun before in one class is sixty five minutes in a class a couple weeks ago. Normal for us is 45-50. The spinathon is one hundred straight minutes. We are informed during warm-up that last year a lady did the class without water. The gauntlet has been thrown down I see. Done. The first and last twenty minutes were a lot of warm-up and cool-down so we were looking at sixty solid minutes of hills and sprints square in the face. We had five different instructors, one per twenty minute segment. They were fresh and worked in on one bike.
I am proud to say that I finished the class with my water bottle still sealled. I was awarded race m.v.p. as they said I worked really hard and provided encouragement to the rest of the group. I joked to my friends that it was because I was "the blind one" and remarked to my classmates that  I have never been rewarded for being the loudest before. I am the dude who bops and sings to the music most of the way through and shouts "KICK,  KICK, KICK" to my fellow spinners as the hills get tougher and the sprints more plentiful. Great after class treets were  the bananna, wheat bagel,  orange slice, and trail mix I devoured  at the end. We also got a plastic coffee mug with lid for participation, I am a  total sucker for those things.
The entire workout was through by noon. I showered and felt energized the rest of the day. Sleep came early and easy before ten. This is highly unusual. The word to be used for Sunday is probably fatigued. >From hip to feet, I was toast the whole day. It was manageable but noticeable.
Monday arrives and I am fine. To quote Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, "I'm back in the saddle again"
When your gyms do events like these, do  them! I have already asked that this become a much more regular event.
Be well and sorry so long, I wanted to share with my group. You guys are my heros.
Joe Shaw