[Sportsandrec] I stand corrected...

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Fri Dec 19 23:37:40 UTC 2008

Thanks Kelly,

You are my hero! Anyone who understands the affects of tire width on
rolling-resistance deserves kudos. If you ever find the article, I'd like to
read it. I can explain it better to you off list if you care to discuss it.
I could not even pronounce the names of the European schools you
mentioned.:)

I lost the State Championship this year by 14 seconds. I thought I had a
lighter, faster bike and better riding position. The two guys who beat us
just borrowed a tandem, rode it four times, put skinnier 23mm tires on it,
and beat us. I rode 1 inch, or 25mm tires on my race wheels, based on your
thinking as well.

The truth is that our combined team age was 27 years older than theirs.
Rather than racing our age category at 80 plus, we chose the open category
for more competition. We would have actually won our 80+ category, since we
beat the fastest tandem in that class by over 4 minutes.

Had my pilot not raced his personal best time the day before, we could have
beat that tandem by over a minute. But, that is racing! I may actually go
with 23s next year, since the course is so smooth.

Now is the time to start preparing for next year.

Regards,

Ron & the let's-really-smoke-'em-next-year-dad! bears
Austin, TX