[Sportsandrec] dance lessons

Haben Girma hgirma at lclark.edu
Mon Dec 22 03:31:33 UTC 2008

Hi Ashley, I think I may have answered this question before, and I think
you were mainly asking newcomers, but I just cannot help myself from
answering you again. I LOVE dancing, and I especially love ballroom! I,
too, have trouble processing a lot of verbal directions, and on top of
that I am hard-of-hearing.

Most dance instructors teach by providing demonstrations. The instructor
will pick a student to help do the demonstration, and then the other
students watch and learn. The best thing for you to do is to ask the
instructor to always use you for demonstrations. If you are up front
doing the demonstration with the teacher, you learn the moves by feeling
the tactile messages from the teacher. For instance, when the teacher
steps forward you automatically know to step backwards because the
teacher's arms will sort of push you to step backwards. There are two
roles in ballroom, there is the lead and there is the follower. To be a
god follower you have to listen to the directions in the arms and hands
of the lead. So, when the instructor is teaching students how to follow
she will play the lead while a demonstrator follows her. By always beign
the follower in demonstrations you can learn all the moves in a dance.
In time you'll be really good at picking up the subtle directions in the
arms and hands of your dance partner. It's really fun, and I sincerely
hope you take the class.

Haben