[Sportsandrec] Cane Placement

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Thu Dec 25 20:09:44 UTC 2008

I've found that simply leaving the cane at the corner of the dance room (in classes), at the table with other friends (out in clubs), or with the bar tender (there is an advantage of being considered a good tipper) works well. I have carried my folding cane, but not often. Or, you can leave the cane in a trusted place, find the cutest, single, opposite gendered dance partner, and go sighted guide back to your cane. Hey, cheesy I know, but I've met a few repeat dance partners that way, and if you are going to go sighted guide anyway...It also gives a chance to enlighten another person about what you can do as a blind person, when you might need a little assistance, and most importantly that you are approachable as a blind person.

As mentioned before, partner dancing is very accessible for everyone. One advantage we have is that we pay more attention to how the moves "feel" as opposed to how they "look," often considered to be a better learning/practice method than pure visualization.

So, jump in with both feet (put both feet in, put both feet out, put both feet in and shake 'em all about...come on, we knew it was coming). Enjoy it, and develop a new experience for yourself and those in the class who may have never danced with such a good partner who just happens to be blind.