[Sportsandrec] Beep Baseball Regs

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 29 22:13:22 UTC 2008

Hello Jennifer and listers,

    Beep Baseball is a wonderful sport, but could be made better if the
rules for playing standard baseball and softball are applied. What bothers
me is the underlining assumption that the blind cannot compete as well as
the sighted so should not be held to the same standard as sighted players.
If the game for sighted adults is played in nine innings so should the blind
be expected to play on the same terms. If baseball for the sighted requires
runners to traverse three bases so should it for the blind. We manage
collisions in everyday life just fine so why not on the baseball diamond?  I
thought the use of beeping bases was to minimize collisions in addition to
helping the blind player locate them. If the pitcher is tired what do teams
for the sighted do? They bring in another one. The same thing should happen
in Beep Baseball.

When blind persons participate in activities that allow them to get away
with less than what is expected of the general public the downward spiral
begins. They're not expected to play the game on the same terms as the
sighted so why not ask the professor for extra time to complete a class
assignment, why not ask the employer for extended breaks and lunch, why not
sit out the laboratory assignment the teacher believes is too difficult or
dangerous for a blind student to engage in. This is a very dangerous path to
tred. I'm saddened that those who created the rules for playing beep
baseball failed to recognize this and allow blind children and adults to
play the game on substandard terms reinforcing the old myth that the blind
cannot compete on terms of equality with the sighted. That's my rant for
this afternoon.

Peter Donahue