[Sportsandrec] accessible videos or audio workouts

Karen Zakhnini kaycee510 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 29 23:27:58 UTC 2008

Hi Ashley,

I actually like this idea.  Part of the problem will be that the video would have to be a new video--you couldn't take an existing video as it is because it moves too fast to allow for proper description of the moves.  However, you could take an existing video in terms of the moves and create a new video from it.  Interesting idea.

Karen

"Cherokee people, Cherokee tribeSo proud to live, so proud to die"
Paul Revere and the Raiders> Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:03:42 -0500> From: bookwormahb at earthlink.net> To: sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> Subject: Re: [Sportsandrec] accessible videos or audio workouts> > Hi Joe and all,> Well I don't see what cane placement has to do with> being in either consumer group. Its a matter of blending in. If you place your cane too far out while sitting its a tripping hazzard. I find it annoying at nfb state conventions I went to where canes were lying by chairs and stuck out into the aisle. I take pride and having the cane but at the same time we have to respect others.> > Yes I would love an audio described workout video. If you feel that is not mixing with nfb philosophy well I think differently. I think an active life is part of changing perceptions about being blind.> I did not say to mandate it like ACB did; I simply mean it should be out there on the market for us to buy if we wish. I understand nfb position to be that audio description is an accessory but should not be mandated on tv. So we are not against it in nfb.> > A few reasons why I want accessible workout videos.> 1. I want an inexpensive way to learn new exercises and be guided through a structured routine.> I was fortunate to work with a personal trainer to learn exercises and proper form. I felt this was neccessary because I needed to be shown and given verbal description on form.> In a class you can't get this. Everyone else learns by seeing but we can't. So they can go to a class, see it and follow along. Working one to one with a trainer was beneficial to learn such exercises like squats, lunges, curls, chest press, etc.> We used free weights.> But not all can afford a trainer and I want an inexpensive way to learn and build on exercises I already know.> > 2. Following a workout video or CD is fun. It has music and its motivating.> > 3. You can do it with other people then and they don't have to take time and describe what is happening.> My family has never been one to describe well and they think its inconvenient to do so and they want to enjoy it themselves. So yes I do like audio description because I can better follow the movement and plot. > > On a different note, if you come to Washington DC, some theathers describe plays. The Kennedy center will describe anything on request of two weeks. They also will braille programs for you. I like it and recommend it. I saw the Christmas Carrol, Bounce, and Hairspray in Dc. I also saw the plays Lion King and Greece although they were not audio described.> As to consumer groups, I will admit I like some of each but lean toward nfb.> > Ashley> > > > > -----Original Message-----> >From: Joe Shaw <jrs3147 at comcast.net>> >Sent: Dec 28, 2008 7:29 PM> >To: Sports and Recreation for the Blind Discussion List <sportsandrec at nfbnet.org>> >Subject: Re: [Sportsandrec] accessible videos or audio workouts> >> >First cane placement and now audio described videos, Ashley I have to ask, > >I'm a big nickname guy, is your middle name by any chance Constance or > >Carol, or Christene? If so, I am calling you A.C.B. evermore.> >Hey LM, I probably need to see those list guidelines again (smile)> >Joe> >----- Original Message ----- > >From: "Ashley Bramlett" <bookwormahb at earthlink.net>> >To: "Sports and Recreation for the Blind Discussion List" > ><sportsandrec at nfbnet.org>> >Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:52 PM> >Subject: [Sportsandrec] accessible videos or audio workouts> >> >> >> Hi all,> >>> >> I think someone should develop workout videos that are descriptive so > >> blind and sighted people can use them.> >> This would give you the flexibility and convenience to exercise at home > >> alone or with others.> >>> >> Are there videos or audio CDS you have found to be descriptive enough to > >> follow and be accessible? When I saw my Dad's Jane Fonda video it was not> >> real accessible. I am thinking of either aerobics, yoga or maybe even > >> cardio kickboxing workouts. If you have one, let me know what it has on > >> it and who sells it.> >>> >> Ashley> >> Ashley H Bramlett> >> Undergraduate Student> >> Marymount University> >> _______________________________________________> >> Sportsandrec mailing list> >> Sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> >> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org> >> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for > >> Sportsandrec:> >> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/jrs3147%40comcast.net > >> >> >_______________________________________________> >Sportsandrec mailing list> >Sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> >http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org> >To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Sportsandrec:> >http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/bookwormahb%40earthlink.net> > > Merry Christmas and Happy New Year> > _______________________________________________> Sportsandrec mailing list> Sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Sportsandrec:> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/kaycee510%40hotmail.com