[Sportsandrec] beep ball regs

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 20:24:45 UTC 2008

Hi Peter,

I have played beep ball although not the serious competitive type Jennifer plays.  Its a good game.  Where is your team Jennifer?  One question.  If following the regulations, does the batter get assistance when running to the base?  In the game I played a sighted person  runs along the blind player giving verbal directions if needed.

I think the regulations are realistic.  You don't want to get smacked with the hard beep ball.  I've never thought of why we run two bases not three.  But Jennifer's explanation is a good one.  The pitcher also needs to be sighted as to accurately pitch to the batter and get out of the way so not to collide with the ball.  My team plays just for fun.  We modify rules more but the official rules look strict.  Remember not all blind people are well coordinated and many have multiple problems.  To welcome all players the team modified how its played; we hit off a tee not having the ball pitched.  Also we don't use the four strikes rule; batters get more chances.  Some of our players appear to have developmental and intellectual delays.  So I think its great they have the opportunity to play something.

You may think that this is not equal expectations but I see it as modifying it to fit your level.  Generally I am for same standards but in this case we have to consider reality; that is we cannot see a flying ball and need sighted help.

The actual beep ball regs though if followed are strict and blind players do a lot on their own.  I think you should try it before coming to such conclusions.  You will feel tired by the end of the game and sore for a while.  The game requires you to bend down and find the ball in the field and/or go down to block it.

Ashley

Ashley H Bramlett
Undergraduate Student
Marymount University