[Sportsandrec] Discovery Blind Sports--blind skiing in general

Lori twilight2 at kconline.com
Tue Nov 4 13:48:15 UTC 2008

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope if you go again you have a
better time. Even though cross country doesn't ordinarily have the wicked
fast speeds, it's still crucial to have a good guide. For down hill totally
blind skiers it is important to have a skilled guide. In fact when racing
the system we used had a science to it. If I don't have a decent guide I
won't ski because it isn't worth the consequences. We need more blind skiers
out there in both alpine and nordic. It is so sad. At the same time, we need
more trained and skilled guides.

In the late 90's we had atleast 5 totally blind women dabbling in ski
racing. I don't think that is the case any more.

I recommend that people find good programs to get into and enjoy the sport.
We need a base from which elete racers can emerge. However, then it seems to
come back to funding and time...

L...