[Sportsandrec] > ADVENTURE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PILOT PROGRAM FOR TEENAGERS WITH VISUAL IMPAIRMENTS

Lori twilight2 at kconline.com
Sun Nov 9 01:34:47 UTC 2008

> ADVENTURE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PILOT PROGRAM FOR TEENAGERS WITH VISUAL
> IMPAIRMENTS
> By Brook Yates
>
> I am seeking your help in order to get this amazing pilot program off and
> running.
I am designing a 6-10 day adventure based program in the west for August of
2009.
Our needs are backwards in that we have the funds, we just now need to hunt
down
participants and this is where you come in. Please read the following blurb
and pass
the information to any students  who might be interested and capable, as
well as
to anyone else who might be interested. Thanks for your help!

> What: A 6-10 day adventure based leadership and environmental trip in the
> outdoors
of beautiful Colorado or Utah.

> Who: We are targeting highly motivated, independent high school students
> who have
low vision or who are blind.

> Cost: Hold on tight because here is the most exciting news, this pilot
> program
will be fully or in large part underwritten. We will be requesting a small
contribution
from the students in order to cultivate investment into the program.

>  hchanconverthardspace  hchanconverthardspace ininTh is a pilot program
> because
it will be the first of its specific design, and it is our long-term vision
to create
a program for this population that we can continue running for many years to
come
for students from all over the United States.

> More details:
>
> The program will be run through the Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center
> (
www.boec.org
). I worked for the BOEC AS A Recreation Therapist for 5 years so I am very
connected
and familiar with this world class organization.

> Curriculum can and will be further developed once we establish a demand,
> but these
are the possibilities:
> - River rafting or canoeing multi day overnights
> - Camping
> - Backpacking
> - Fishing
> - Orienteering
> - Rock climbing
> - Environmental education (even some student led sessions)
>
> Goals: To allow young adults with visual impairments the opportunity to:
> - travel independently (without their parents/family)
> - increase their activities and daily living skills
> - increase their orientation and mobility skills
> - increase their environmental knowledge
> - increase their social skills
> - increase leadership skills
> - Have Fun!
>
> Transportation: The students will need to travel to Denver.
>
> In order for me to move forward with this project, I need to know if there
> is or
is not a need for this type of program so please contact me one way or
another.

brookyates at gmail.com