[Sportsandrec] Racquet ball

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Sun Nov 9 06:12:27 UTC 2008

Mike,

I am completely blind, and had to do a racquetball section for my degree. Honestly, with the echo of the court, and the fact that there really is no good audible ball that has the same characteristics as a racquetball, it is a difficult adaptation. We used to play either doubles, or a game like cut throat. In doubles, pair the blind player with the best of the other players. The blind player will be expected to serve effectively, and to assume the front court during play. The partner would then play 2-on-1 with the other participants. In the cut throat like game, either the blind player can serve all the time, and the other players then play for points, or something to that effect. You will be best to learn the mechanics of serves, and what it feels like to perform correct serves. Also get used to the "feel" of having others run around you in the court; practice finding the "safest" zones to stand in during play; and always be ready for collisions. It takes a lot of time familiarizing yourself with the dynamics of the court, how things sound different, and what is safe or not for your individual conditions and comfort. A full 1-on-1 game is something I couldn't figure out, but there were a variety of different games and rules adaptations that made the game for me very exciting.

Enjoy,
Kelly Thornbury