[Sportsandrec] 2009 judo training camp information

Joe Shaw jrs3147 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 21:52:53 UTC 2008

Everett,
I am thirty two and just began judo a couple months ago. I had no previous
judo, or other martial art,  experience. I have been doing strength training
and cardio by way of spin classes and eliptical machines daily for about a
year in my journey to get fit.  It is a whole different thing. I wrestled
when I was younger which I believe has helped me tremendously as wrestling
is a good base for all grappling sports. I took my first Brazillian jujitsu
class Friday and believe it may end up my favorite. Again, the wrestling is
a great start and has given me good instincts and reflexes from which to
build.
As far as a just do it speech not being enough, just do it. (smile) None of
us are you, so no matter what we say, the only one who will know if you can
is you. The only way you can know is to go find out. Go find out! It is
funny that you ask about being too old, I thought I might be. I wasn't. Do I
think I'll be an olympian, not sure yet. I doubt it. I have fun though. I
know this. You cannot know unless you try.
I had never done jujitsu before Friday, my groin is megasore, but I am very
glad I went and will go back tomorrow.
Be well,
Joe Shaw