[Sportsandrec] 2009 judo training camp information

Everett Gavel everettg at successfuladaptations.com
Thu Nov 6 22:39:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

Okay, since we've again been discussing Judo here, I'm
asking for your help.  I'm "going public," as I would
rather just get past this sticking point and move on as
quickly as possible.

I miss Judo, I admit that.  I want to get back into it.
I'll admit a few other things first, though, before
asking my questions.  Truthfully, I'm nervous about it.
I happen to be 38, and not in the greatest health.
Years of unattended Diabetes in my younger years - and
the corresponding high blood sugar levels - have been
showing their results more and more the past decade.
I'm not nearly as flexible as I was a decade ago.
Apparently insulin builds up calcium deposits on your
bone joints over time.  And I've never yet been one to
work with a regular stretching program, though I know I
need to start.  I'm just not sure where or how to
start.  Actually, I guess my hesitancy all boils down
to that.  My lack of flexibility.  I believe I will
have problems with some of the physical turns and
twists necessary to do various moves properly.  In
fact, while I was learning, previously, I noticed this
exact problem happening to a lesser level than I think
it would today.  But still, I want to try.

I guess why I'm sharing this is that I'm asking for
input from you here, who may know of others who aren't
exactly young, and who also may not be the healthiest
freaks out there but are enjoying themselves the best
they can.  Does anyone know of any 30-year-olds - or
older - who regularly participate in martial arts, MMA,
or whatever?  Anyone know of any others who perhaps
aren't the most physically agile, but who are still
giving it their best?  Anyone know of someone who began
learning martial arts when they were 30 or older?

If so, can we talk, please?  I am sorely in need of
some serious inspiration, some motivation, to get me
started back in the right direction.  I've been letting
my health, and occasionally lack of it, depress me for
far too long now I think.

Thanks for any leads, or input here.  But trust me on
one point, please.  The "Just Do It" speech ain't gonna
be worth the time it'll take you to write it, at the
moment.  I want and feel I need, people who have done
it and are doing it.  So if you can point me to
others - or others to me - please do.  Thanks.  You're
help would be greatly appreciated here.

Strive On,
Everett
everett at everettgavel.com