[Sportsandrec] finding guides

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 12 02:30:04 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm impressed with the recent bike stories and hearing about past accomplishments.  I am active, or try to be, for recreation purposes.  You all seem to have it all covered wich is impressive.  A big barrier from my experience, and I'm sure many blind people, is finding people to assist you outdoors.  It takes coordination of schedules and a commitment from the other person.  It would be nice to run or power walk outdoors or bike weather permitting.  But I settle for the gym only because I don't have help.  I'm sure most blind people are in my position and you all are the minority.  As anecdotal evidence, as I ask blind people what they like to do they mention sedentary activities like computers, tv or reading.  Blind children tell me reading or singing or a musical instrument.  Rare do I hear of an active activity.  I think there is one runner out of perhaps twenty people in my nfb chapter, one member.

So my question.  How did you find guides to assist you in running, biking swimming, etc?
Are your guides paid?  If not what motivates them?  In the activity do you feel you can set the pace and own the workout or does your guide say something?

Thanks.

Ashley