[Sportsandrec] finding guides

Lori twilight2 at kconline.com
Wed Nov 12 04:51:38 UTC 2008

Ashley,

For me it comes and goes. For instance when I first got into cycling and
then the Paralympics I had a great group of tandem pilots in my area or my
mom drove me to where pilots were. Well, I've been in a drought for a number
of years now and it is very frustrating. I've always found it helpful to get
out and the more people see you the more they are inclinded to get involved.
So, even if a person says they only want to ride occasionally, but if I can
get them to go on a local group ride this may be a great place for me to
recruit more pilots. I still do a lot of training on my own with my bike on
a trainer or in spin classes and do I like it? No, but sometimes that is how
it goes. For running you might see if there is an Achillies track club in
your area as theyoften are interested in being guide runners. You might also
want to check with USABA, the CDifferent foundation and Challenged Athletes
to see if they have a database of guide runners. Oh, there's Disabled Sports
USA as well. At times it can get really old to have to recruit recruit
recruit, but if you want to get out and do it, that's what needs to be done.

Occasionally I' come across folks who understand and who are interested in
helping in this process--for instance for the triathlon I did last year I
couldn't have done it if it weren't for others--and I'm very grateful for
this.

I don't mind the time it takes to work with new people as I realize that I
may not be the only one who wil benefit and I hope that anyone who guides or
rides with me will have the opportunity to do the same with other athletes.

Even in the pool it is ideal to have someone available to tap and I just had
to recruit volunteers as I couldn't afford anything. Since I often didn't
have this important information I quit swimming a number of strokes and also
developed some bad habbits.

So, don't give up. Keep going to the gym and be visible. Talk with local
clubs. Don't be shy about your interests.

L...