[Sportsandrec] finding guides

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Wed Nov 12 16:53:40 UTC 2008

Ashley Bramlett wrote, "Hi all,
:
: I'm impressed with the recent bike stories and hearing about past
accomplishments. I am glad  I am active, or try to be, for recreation
purposes.

Hi Ashley, I am happy to hear that we purked up your ears. That is one of my
hopes when I go off on one of my long, explanational e-mails.:) I want to
share the fun and the notion of how to get started, or pursue whatever goals
you may have. You mention "recreation purposes", that is really what it is
all about. After years of riding tandems for fun, fitness, and other
personal goals, , I eventually got into competitive cycling as a natural
progression. In fact, it is that competition that helps keep me motivated to
stay in shape. If I skip a workout, I may lose some fitness, but when I
think of how I might pay the price when racing, or let down my teammate,
then, I have more of a reason to train. The goal of fitness is more secure
at that point.

Ashley wrote...You all seem to have it all covered wich is impressive.  A
big barrier from my experience, and I'm sure many blind people, is finding
people to assist you outdoors.  It takes coordination of schedules and a
commitment from the other person.

Ron...Well, actually, it may seem that way at times, but it is a lot of
work. I am promoting myself for tandem pilots all the time. Sometimes, I am
subtle, other times, I need to be more direct and just ask. It is a feast or
famine venture. Some of my best support actually comes from Lori, from this
list. Sometimes, I get pretty discouraged and complain to her. I cry on her
shoulder and she sends me back out there, inspired to ride again. However,
when it comes together, it is all worth it. That is what I need to focus on
to keep training.

Ashley...It would be nice to run or power walk outdoors or bike, weather
permitting.  But I settle for the gym only because I don't have help.  I'm
sure most blind people are in my position and you all are the minority.  As
anecdotal evidence, as I ask blind people what they like to do they mention
sedentary activities like computers, tv or reading.  Blind children tell me
reading or singing or a musical instrument.  Rare do I hear of an active
activity.  I think there is one runner out of perhaps twenty people in my
nfb chapter, one member.

Ron...Much of what you just said, I think, is as much an American epidemic
in general. There is not as much interest in physical exercise and
therefore, there is not the infrastructure of role models to mentor
potential participants. Perhaps blind people have one more excuse. One
reason I, myself, am on this list is to gain motivation from learning about
the athletic pursuits of others here.
:
Ashley...So my question.  How did you find guides to assist you in running,
biking swimming, etc?

It is an ongoing thing for me. However, I have to give credit to God for my
first tandem pilot. It took me over a year to buy my first tandem. The one I
wanted cost over $4,000. With my partial eyesight, I actually rode it
myself, down to the bike shop for some speed parts. As I was leaving, a man
tapped me on the shoulder to ask me about my new machine. He and his wife
were planning to buy that exact model. I confessed that I was blind and
planned to be on the back seat. He gave me his card and became my first
pilot. On my first ride with him, I met my second pilot at a gas station.

Ashley...Are your guides paid?  If not what motivates them?  In the activity
do you feel you can set the pace and own the workout or does your guide say
something?

I cannot bring myself to pay a pilot, though it probably would help me find
more. I do take them out to lunch or dinner, buy gas or entry fees, or
contribute to the friendship other ways. I think what motivates them is the
whole tandem idea. Remember, sighted people buy tandems for that experience
of togetherness and teamwork. It is fun to ride the tandem for many of them,
because it is generally faster. I have had some riders want to ride with me
in order to keep up with their friends, or beat their husbands for a change.
I think my pilot for Saturday's epic ride feels that she has a better chance
of completing the entire ride with me on the tandem. Without her, I may not
be riding it at all, so it is a fair deal. Some of my best pilots are so
experienced with their single bike that they want a new challenge, or to
simply give back to the community.

As far as owning the workout, I think the tandem has an advantage here. If
you two are just out for fun, then either one of you can ride as hard or
easy as you like. The only thing that needs to be the same is your cadence,
or the speed of your pedalling. As for the effort, it can be 50/50, or
75/25, or whatever.

It also depends on what rides you do. When I was getting ready for a recent
time-trial, Tom, my pilot for our regular training ride asked me what my
goals were for the ride. Though he was not in as good of shape as me, he put
us in front of the group and told me to hammer for a while. That was the
race workout I needed. Other times, I will work hard on some hills, while my
pilots do their own comfortable pace. If I am tapering for an event, I may
become the slacker, but I try to set the expectations before we ride. With a
tandem, at least you are always together.

Ashley...Thanks.

Ron...Thanks for asking!

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---