[Sportsandrec] finding guides

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Nov 13 18:05:40 UTC 2008

Hi Ashley,

It is very possible to ride a tandem without owning a tandem.

The first thing I would do is contact a local bike club. I just googled
"Austin Bike Clubs" and found a lot of leads, even before I moved here. In
fact, I even had a ride lined up for when I visited for the interview. Then,
use the site's contact link to introduce yourself. The contact person will
forward it out to the list, or maybe even sign you up. Then, introduce
yourself with something like, "Hi, I am a blind person interested in
cycling. Is there anyone out there who rides a tandem?...

Bike clubs are full of people who have tandems. Either their spouse lost
interest, or their children have grown into the being too cool stage and no
longer want to ride with dad, or perhaps there was a break-up. You should do
well to find a riding partner or two rather quickly. You may also want to
google your city-tandem club. You may find some leads there, but most of
them already have riding partners in their spouses. Still, tandem riders are
very enthusiastic about sharing their sport. They are generally more mature
and willing to give back to the community. Many tandem owners miss riding
the tandem after the kid moves out or the spouse loses interest.

If you like it, then you can buy your own bike. Like a friend of mine said,
"It is easier to ride if you have a tandem. This is true. For a recreational
ride, start with even casual rides, it is easier to find almost anyone who
wants to jump on the front of a tandem with you. You may want to start off
with a seasoned pilot, though. This way, you can learn much about how to get
your saddle set right for you and learn the basics of safe riding. Then,
once you are confident, you can teach just about anyone. When I promote
myself on e-mail lists, I often say that it is just like riding a bicycle.

Your captain will have a way to transport the bike. He/she will probably
have an extra helmet and waterbottle  as well. You will not be expected to
have all this stuff at first. They will understand. You may do a short club
ride, or just a few laps around your neighborhood.

It is not that hard to get started. I am on the tandem listserv that Lori
mentioned. Send me your city and details off list and I can post something
for you. Chances are that I already know riders in your area. I have been on
this list for over ten years.

Sincerely,

Ron & the getting-ready-to-go-up bears
Austin, TX