[Sportsandrec] finding guides

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Nov 13 18:28:14 UTC 2008

Hi again Ashley,

You ask great questions!

First of all, whether one rides competitively or casually, or somewhere in
between,  it does not really matter. I do prefer riding with racers for fast
rides, but will even ride with non-cyclist co-workers for casual rides. I
like to get them and myself out on a bike. Most Americans are sedentary, so
I like to sneak in some opportunities for exercise for them. I like to do
this with my O&M students as well. It is great to watch their attitudes
change as they get fitter.

I do have my own tandems, but it was my first one that got me into the
clubs. Once there, I was able to network and find people with their own
tandems. Sometimes, weeks will go by without me riding any of my bikes. My
sometimes just call tandems, "bikes". Tandem riders often refer to their
single bikes as, "Half Bikes". This tells you just how much people love
riding their tandems with people.

To stay in sync is pretty easy because there is a chain that connects the
two riders. Just ride at whatever pace suits you for starters. You can feel
it in the pedals when your pilot speeds up or slows down. He/she may ask for
more power on a hill, or ask you to back off if they hear you breathing too
hard. This is all normal conversation that becomes more intuitive as you get
used to riding outdoors. I have one experienced pilot who forgets to ask me
for more power, because he is used to riding with weaker riders who don't
ride at his level. When I hear him breathing hard, I may remind him to
communicate with me, but usually, I will just kick up the power. For me, I
want to be the one who pulls more than half the work. This is because
without them, I would not be riding. Plus, it helps me get stronger. To be
stronger or weaker is not bad, it is just where people are in their fitness.
You can be a stronger rider, but out of shape at any time of the season.

I think I covered everything you asked about.

Regards,

Ron & the gotta go get the bike ready for tonight's practice ride with
Patricia bears